The Corning Museum of Glass is seeking an intern to participate in an exciting and challenging three month internship with the Hot Glass Demonstration Department. The chosen candidate will work alongside the Museum’s full time glassmakers to perform live demonstrations in glassblowing in a highly professional venue. The intern can expect to gain experience and develop his/her skills in teamwork and assisting, glassblowing, shop maintenance, and public speaking.
The Museum’s new Contemporary Art + Design Wing, which was completed in March of 2015, houses a state-of-the-art glassblowing studio in the former Steuben factory. This Hot Glass Amphitheater, which seats 500 guests, features custom equipment built by Spiral Arts to accommodate any type of glassmaking. Extensive demonstrations, guest artists and our world class design prototyping program, GlassLab, are just a few examples of the type of work you will be involved in.
- Deliver clear and articulate verbal presentations during live glassblowing demonstrations
- Greet and host guests and visitors
- Assist with and produce glass for museum marketing, projects and properties of glass demonstrations
- Assist in glassmaking demonstrations
- Clean and maintain equipment and studio space.
- Become familiar with the Museum’s collection, galleries, library, and The Studio
- Work safely and maintain a safe work environment to Museum standards
Training and Development
- Build skills in glass techniques with personal instruction and practice
- Develop public speaking skills through instruction, coaching and practice
- Work as part of a highly professional glassmaking team
- Gain knowledge about the museum’s collections and galleries
- Build a deeper understanding of the scientific properties of glass
- Interface with visiting artists
Project Development and Review
The intern will be tasked with creating, completing, and presenting a project over the duration of the internship program. Guidelines will be established and bi-weekly reviews will be conducted by the intern’s supervisor. The intern is responsible for making use of any and all appropriate resources at the Museum to complete the project by the deadline. A final review will be held with the intern and select CMoG staff.
- An intermediate level of glassblowing experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills and be a contributing team player
- A comfort level with speaking and presenting in front of large, international audiences
- Professionalism and a clean, well groomed appearance
- Ability to engage visitors in a helpful and welcoming manner
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs.
- Ability to work any day of the week, including holidays and evenings as needed
- Willingness to abide by all CMoG safety practices
Applicants are required to submit:
- A letter of interest
- A current resume
- At least 5 images of his/her work or a link to an online portfolio
- 3 references with phone and email contacts
*Please include any relevant studio experience and additional qualifications that may pertain to the program in the letter of interest.
Internship opportunities will be available from mid-March through October.
The deadline for applications is April 1, 2017 .
- Stipend of $2,400 to help defray costs
- 15% discount in the CMoG Shops and Café
- Free museum admission for you and your guests
Email, fax or mail resume with cover letter to email@example.com , fax to 607.438.5410, or send to Corning Museum of Glass, One Museum Way, Corning, NY 14830, Attn: Internship Program. An Equal Opportunity Employer.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 40 hours/week
- Dates are flexible