Homeless Shelter Volunteer
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where750 Orcutt RoadSan Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Located in San Luis Obispo, the shelter provides 50 beds nightly year-round. An additional 25 to 35 beds are added through the Interfaith Coalition for the homeless "overflow" shelter program operated in one host church each month. More than 25,000 shelter nights are provided each year. The shelter offers meals, showers, mail, phone and message services, information and referrals, and access to case management. The shelter operates exclusively during the evening hours, with clients arriving at 6pm and vacating the premises by 7:30am.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Maxine Lewis Memorial Homeless Shelter. Below are some of the volunteer opportunities that we have available:
- Daytime Office Volunteer: Filing, data entry, office work. Monday/Wednesday/Friday anywhere between 9:00am 4:00pm, any amount of hours
- Night time Office Volunteer: Handing out dinner, shower, and bedding supplies to the clients, and assisting staff during our peak hours. Help needed any hours between 5:30-9:00pm.
- Admittance Volunteer: Assisting staff with checking in clients and assigning chores. Any hours between 5:30pm-8:00pm.
- Meal Providers: Provide and serve a warm meal for up to 100 people. Will provide a meal packet upon request.
- ICH/Overflow Overnight: Our overflow sites are in need of overnight volunteers occasionally. Their shifts are 7:00pm-7:30am currently. The site changes monthly so if you are interested, we will let you know which slots are open..
We also have other types of volunteer work and projects that are available, and if you have a creative project idea, please share!
- Administrative Support
- Office Reception
- People Skills
- Food Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training