Become a Positive Male Role Model and Advocate for a Youth In Foster Care
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where6811 Kenilworth AvenueSuite 402Riverdale, MD 20737
It is time to do something about the overwhelming number of young men in Prince George’s County who are growing up without the benefit of a stable and meaningful positive male role model. Young men in foster care are at a greater risk for dropping out of school, getting involved with drugs, and becoming homeless. The need for strong support in their lives is urgent. Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA)/ Prince George’s County recruits and trains volunteers to advocate for the needs of youth living in foster care.
The discrepancy between young men in foster care and male CASA volunteers is significant. While 50% of the youth CASA volunteers serve are young men who have been abused or neglected; only 10% of CASA’s volunteer advocates are men, able to draw from their perspective and experiences as they advocate for and mentor the young man in need.
Qualifications and Requirements:
● Must be at least 21 years of age or older
● Ability to pass background screening Criminal Background Check; Driving Record Check; Child Abuse Registry Check; Social Security Number verification; National Sex Offender Registry; Reference Checks (3)
● Ability to attend 37-hour pre-service training
● One year or one case commitment to the program
● Ability to commit 10-15 hours per month to case, including visiting the child at least twice per month and regular meetings with Case Supervisor
● Acceptance of a case assignment after completion of preservice training.
● Pre-service training:
- 37 hours in classroom
- 1 day of courtroom observation
- In-service training:
- Flexible Schedule
- 10 to 15 hrs/ month
- 2 visits/ month with youth
- Case Supervision 1x/every 6 weeks
- Court Hearings 2x/year dependent on case
- 12 hrs of continuing education/1 year
Application and Training:
● To apply, please visit http://pgcasa.org/volunteer-application/
● To be considering for the next training session, you must apply, attend an in-person interview, and be accepted into training.
● Training is held the Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall seasons.
● Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!
● Our next training will begin Thursday, April 9th, runs on Monday and Thursday evenings from 6 to 9pm, and 2 additional trainings are provided for volunteers assigned to youth 14 or older. It will take place at 6811 Kenilworth Avenue, Riverdale, MD 20737.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
CASA volunteers ensure that the court and child welfare systems remain focused on the specific needs of individual youth, so that these needs, including the need for safety and permanency, are addressed expeditiously.
CASA volunteers serve as investigators, mentors, recorders, and ultimately advocates.
CASA volunteers visit their youth at least 2 times per month, and their case supervisors once every 6 to 8 weeks.
How to apply: http://pgcasa.org/volunteer-application/
DEADLINE TO APPLY IS MARCH 21!
This is a unique chance to become invested in your community by spending time with a youth who lacks a positive male role model and influence in their life. You could get involved by advocating for his best interests in court. You could help create and ensure better outcomes for a youth in need by being a part of his team. For more information, please visit our website at www.pgcasa.org or call 301-209-0491.
We are now accepting applications for our Spring Training!
Apply at http://pgcasa.org/volunteer-application/
Marketing and Recruitment Coordinator
Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA)/ Prince George’s County, Inc
6811 Kenilworth Ave, Suite 402
Riverdale MD, 20737
- Life Coaching
- People Skills
- Case Work / Management
- Relationship Building
- Youth Services
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 10-15 Hours a month
- in-person interview, training, acceptance of a case, courtroom observation
- Looking for bilingual child...
- Bi-lingual Child Advocates Needed!
- Work With Older Youth in Foster...
- Do you want to advocate for...
- Become a Positive Male Role...
- Support LGBTQ Youth in Foster...
- Become an advocate for an abused...
- Improve the life of a youth in...
- Do you want to be an advocate...
- Join the Court Appointed Special...
- Role-models wanted for young men...