Work With Older Youth in Foster Care to Get Them Ready for a Life of Independence
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where6811 Kenilworth AvenueSuite 402Riverdale, MD 20737
Did you know only 54% of youth in foster care earn a high school diploma? And only 2% earn a bachelor’s degree or higher?
The goal to find safe and permanent homes for youth in foster care is not always fulfilled, and each year thousands of young people simply "age out" of the foster care system, going through high school and beyond without ever finding stability. Many of the youth must prepare to leave foster care without ever having a caring presence to help guide them in their journey to adulthood.
Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA)/Prince George’s County, which recruits and trains volunteers to advocate for the needs of youth living in foster care, is currently recruiting volunteers with a particular interest in working with teens aged 16 to 20. By advocating for their needs in the courts and the community, these volunteers will play a powerful role in helping youth in foster care to become successful and thriving adults.
Will you speak for abused and neglected teens in your community?
Qualifications and Requirements:
● Must be at least 21 years of age or older
● Ability to pass background screening Criminal Background Check; Driving Record Check; Child Abuse Registry Check; Social Security Number verification; National Sex Offender Registry; Reference Checks (3)
● Ability to attend 37-hour pre-service training
● One year or one case commitment to the program
● Ability to commit 10-15 hours per month to case, including visiting the child at least twice per month and regular meetings with Case Supervisor
● Acceptance of a case assignment after completion of preservice training.
● Pre-service training:
- 37 hours in classroom
- 1 day of courtroom observation
- In-service training:
- Flexible Schedule
- 10 to 15 hrs/ month
- 2 visits/ month with youth
- Case Supervision 1x/every 6 weeks
- Court Hearings 2x/year dependent on case
- 12 hrs of continuing education/1 year
Application and Training:
● To apply, please visit www.pgcasa.org/become-a-volunteer.
● To be considering for the next training session, you must apply, attend an in-person interview, and be accepted into training.
● Training is held the Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall seasons.
● Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or visit www.pgcasa.org/become-a-volunteer to apply.
● Our next training will begin Thursday, April 9th, runs on Monday and Thursday evenings from 6 to 9pm, and 2 additional trainings are provided for volunteers assigned to youth 14 or older. It will take place at 6811 Kenilworth Avenue, Riverdale, MD 20737.
If you would like to learn more about the volunteer role, you are encouraged to attend our information session on February 20th, 2018 at 6pm.
Location - 6811 Kenilworth Avenue, Riverdale, MD 20737.
RSVP to email@example.com
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
CASA volunteers ensure that the court and child welfare systems remain focused on the specific needs of individual youth, so that these needs, including the need for safety and permanency, are addressed expeditiously.
CASA volunteers serve as investigators, mentors, recorders, and ultimately advocates.
CASA volunteers visit their youth at least 2 times per month, and their case supervisors once every 6 to 8 weeks.
This is a unique chance to become invested in your community by spending time with a youth who is about to age out of foster care and prepare for a life of independence. You could get involved by advocating for his or her best interests in court. You could help create and ensure better outcomes for an older youth in need by being a part of his or her team. For more information, please visit our website at www.pgcasa.org or call 301-209-0491.
How to apply: www.pgcasa.org/become-a-volunteer
Brianna Tiedeman - firstname.lastname@example.org
Marketing and Recruitment Coordinator
Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA)/ Prince George’s County, Inc
6811 Kenilworth Ave, Suite 402
Riverdale MD, 20737
- Child Development
- Crisis Intervention
- Youth Services
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 10-12 Hours a month/ one year
- Looking for bilingual child...
- Bi-lingual Child Advocates Needed!
- Work With Older Youth in Foster...
- Do you want to advocate for...
- Become a Positive Male Role...
- Support LGBTQ Youth in Foster...
- Become an advocate for an abused...
- Improve the life of a youth in...
- Do you want to be an advocate...
- Join the Court Appointed Special...
- Role-models wanted for young men...