Volunteer Opportunities to serve as an Election Officer for King George County
WhenTue Nov 08, 2016, 05:00 AM - 09:30 PM
WhereWithin the 5 precincts in King George county, VADEADLINE TO REGISTER IS July 10, 2016TRAINING WILL BEGIN LATE OCTOBERKing George, VA 22485
We need dedicated individuals who take pride in their work, are patient and enjoy working with people, who take directions well and are detail-oriented. You may be just the person we are looking for! DEADLINE TO SIGN UP IS JULY 10, 2016!! MUST HAVE ALL VOLUNTEER SIGNUPS SO WE CAN SCHEDULE THE OFFICER TRAINING AND THE EVACUATION TRAINING JULY 20 THROUGH JULY 21, 2016! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR GETTING THE WORD OUT! KEEP IN MIND THIS IS A PAID VOLUNTEER SPOT, SO YOU WILL GET PAID FOR YOUR TIME!
What are the requirements to be a poll worker?
- Be a registered voter in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Do not hold elected office nor be the employee of an elected office.
- Enjoy meeting people and serving the public.
- Be able to take direction, pay attention to detail and not be easily distracted.
- Must be computer literate.
- Be available to work the entire day on Election Day.
- a Closer will begin work between 3pm and 4pm, to see the voting process until their role begins after 7pm when the polls close. They will be able to assist prior to polls closing.
- Be willing to represent one of the two major political parties, as required by law.
- Complete and return an Election Officer application.
- Be appointed by the local Electoral Board as an Election Officer.
Please read the information, complete the application and return to us.
ü Is this a volunteer position? - No, Election Officers get paid for their service.
ü What are the hours of service? - Election Officers arrive at the polling place at 5:00 am, and remain until all work is completed after the close of the polls. The polls are open from 6:00 am to 7:00 pm.
ü Where will my duties be on Election Day? - Whenever possible, Election Officers are assigned to their "home" precinct. If there are no vacancies at your polling place, you may be assigned to a nearby precinct.
ü What will my duties be on Election Day?
- Arrive at the polling place at 5:00 am without cell phones and remain until all assigned duties have been completed.
- Set up voting equipment and prepare the polling place for voting.
- Process voters by checking names against in the electronic poll books.
- Admit voters to voting machines.
- Tally results.
- Close the polling place.
- In addition, the Chief Officer is responsible for returning the materials to the General Registrar’s office on election night.
ü What training is required? - Each election officer is required to attend training provided by the Electoral Board and General Registrar. Chief and Assistant Chief Election Officers are required by the Code of Virginia, §24.2-115, to attend training prior to every election in which they serve. Classes, lasting about 2 hours, are held in mid-October. Additional training is held prior to special and primary elections.
King George County
Director of Elections & Voter Registration
Lorrie A. Gump
PO Box 1359
King George, VA 22485
Application for Election Day Officer
LAST FIRST MIDDLE
CITY: ________________________________ STATE_________________ ZIP__________
HOME PHONE: (____)_______________________________________________________
WORK PHONE: (____)_____________________________________________________
LAST 4 DIGITS OF YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY______________________________________
On Election Day, I would like to work at: (circle one)
¨ My Precinct
¨ A Nearby Precinct
- Where I’m needed most
In addition to fluency in English (required), I am also fluent in the following languages:
I do not hold an elective office, paid or unpaid, under the government of the United States, Virginia, or any Virginia county, city, or tow, and am not the deputy or employee of an elected official.
Signature: ___________________________________Date: ______________________
- Customer Service
- Business Analysis
- Program Management
- Financial Auditing
- Data Entry
- Basic Computer Skills
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 5:00 am to 7:00 pm
- Must be a registered Virginia Voter and at least 18 years of age