WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where1800 Chicago AveAll over metro areaMinneapolis, MN 55404
Purpose: Volunteer drivers provide an essential service in the community, by providing transportation for elders, adults, teens, children and individuals with disabilities. This service enables clients to attend important meetings, medical appointments, participate in classes and complete their basic need errands, such as grocery shopping and banking
Responsibilities: The volunteer driver uses his/her personal vehicle to provide either occasional or on-going transportation round trip from and to the client's home. Reimbursement for mileage and parking expenses incurred while performing volunteer assignments are provided monthly by request according to county allowances.
- Providing round-trip transportation to various locations. (For transportation to be provided, individuals with disabilities and elders must be able to get in and out of the vehicle with minimum assistance. Parents must provide car seats when required).
- Escort clients into buildings when needed, help them locate correct offices, carry purchases into their homes, etc.
- Driving only to and from the location(s) approved and agreed upon for the assignments.
- Providing activity reports to the coordinator including time spent traveling to and from assignments, driving time and the number of clients served.
- Requiring all passengers and yourself to wear seatbelts. No smoking is allowed in vehicles as per county policy.
- Be at least 18 years old and in good health.
- Have regular access to a safe, mechanically sound vehicle.
- Have and maintain an active Minnesota drivers licenses and carry at least the minimum insurance coverage required by law - verification is required.
- Notify volunteer coordinator of any change in insurance eligibility or driver privileges
- Adhere to all traffic laws and regulations and to laws pertaining to the use of seat belts, car seats, and mobile/cell phones.
- Provide courteous and respectful service to all clients.
- Volunteers can be reimbursed monthly for related transportation/parking expenses within allowable limits by completing a report form.
- Invitation to attend volunteer recognition event
- Opportunities to receive free entrance to Science Museum and Omni Theater throughout the year
- Feedback is available / provided by an On-Site Coordinator to assist volunteer in achieving the highest quality of work results.Volunteers gain experience working with individuals from different language and cultural backgrounds.
- Volunteers gain experience assisting staff in a county government Human Services department.
- Volunteers experience the positive feelings of assisting people in need.
- Human Services training opportunities are available at no cost.
- A letter of recommendation can be written on request after completion of the minimum time commitment.
To apply to become a volunteer, please fill out this application: https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?AP=414494143
- Customer Service
- People Skills
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Provide transportation one or more times per month
- Able to follow road directions and street map