Volunteer Interpreter, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Spanish, and Swahili
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where4575 - A Mission Gorge PlaceSan Diego, CA 92120
Assist new refugee arrivals with interpretation and translation.
Current needs are: Arabic, Haitian Creole, Spanish, and Swahili.
OBJECTIVE: To assist new refugee arrivals by actively listening to, understanding, and translating spoken or written statements from one language to another. Reproduce statements in another language without loss of meaning for unique listening audiences.
TIME REQUIRED: Flexible 8 hours per week, Mon. - Fri., 9 AM to 5 PM.
Proficient in English and at least one other language; preferably Burmese, Haitian Creole, Farsi, French, Karen, Pashto, Somali, Spanish, and Swahili
Capable and interested in working with persons from diverse cultural and educational backgrounds
Good understanding of intercultural dynamics
Possess a sense of hospitality, flexibility, patience and good humor
Prompt and conscientious about keeping appointments
Prior interpreting experience, preferably in the medical and/or social service field
OUTLINE OF SERVICES:
Establish rapport and trust with clients.
Facilitate effective communication between two parties that do not speak a similar language by converting one spoken or written language to another.
Relay concepts and ideas between languages.
Convert written materials from one language into another. Create a new text in the target language that reproduces the content and style of the original.
Employ computer-assisted translation.
Facilitate communication for people with limited English proficiency.
Interpret both specific terminology and colloquial language.
Work collaboratively with the volunteer coordinator by communicating regularly about client language needs and progress.
Be able to comply with an agency required background check, if needed.
Comply with CCDSD’s standards of professionalism and confidentiality.
Be able to work at different office locations.
Notify Volunteer Coordinator a week in advance if you would like to request time off
- Hatian / Creole
- Cross-cultural Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 4 hours perweek for a minimum of 3 months
- Our hours of operation are M - F from 8 to 5
- Find employment for those less...
- Gain Administrative Experience...
- Homeless Women Volunteer...
- Volunteer Job Readiness Instructor
- School and WIC Enrollment...
- Volunteer Case Management...
- Job Coach, Homeless Women
- Volunteer Interpreter, Arabic,...
- Tomorrow Project Mentor:...
- Help refugees become self...
- Volunteer Office Assistant/Health
- Smoke-Free For All San Diegans...
- Learn with a refugee! Become a...
- Transportation Aide, Help Newly...