Girls Soccer Coach and Mentor
South Bronx United is seeking volunteer assistant coaches to help with SBU's three girls' competitive travel soccer teams and head coaches for its girls recreational teams. In addition to helping a team of girls develop technical and tactical skills on the field, coaches serve as mentors and role models for the players, sharing the joy of playing the sport, but more importantly reinforcing the values that sport helps develop (teamwork, discipline, respect, etc) and emphasizing the importance of education.
- Fall Season: mid August - early December
- Winter Season: January - early March (Only one practice a week)
- Spring Season: mid March - June
- Fall runs September - November
- Spring runs mid-March - June
Travel Program: Practices are generally held at Macomb's Dam Field, 161st Street across from Yankee Stadium. Home games are generally held at Randall's Island. Away games are played in Westchester County, and occasionally beyond (tournaments/special events).
Rec Program: Games/practices are held either at Macomb's Dam Field, 161st St between River and Jerome Avenues or Mullaly Park, Jerome Avenue at 165th Street
Positions Available: Girls Travel: U14, U16 | Girls Rec: U8, U11, U14, U19
Travel Program: Coaches help with practices twice a week, generally Tuesday and Thursday evenings and help manage games on Sundays during the season (Fall and Spring). One weekend practice a week is held during the winter months. Assistant Coaches should have consistent availability and help support the Head Coach at practices and games. Coaches are asked to be able to commit through the end of the school year at minimum (end of June).
Rec Program: Saturday morning/afternoon in Fall and Spring. Coaches volunteer a set 1.5-2 hour slot between 9am-5pm. The time slot is dependent on the age group being coached.
Qualifications: Previous coaching experience is not a necessity, but enthusiasm for working with children and a strong knowledge of soccer is.
Travel Program: There are opportunities for professional coaching development in sports based youth development practices.
Rec Program: In addition to helping provide the resources and support to allow under-resourced youth the opportunity to participate in an organized sport, coaches will have opportunities for professional coaching trainings and will be connected to a network of caring volunteers for fun soccer related events throughout the year.
South Bronx United uses soccer as a tool for social change. South Bronx United aims to help youth build character, teamwork, and leadership so that they can succeed in high school, college, careers, their community and beyond. South Bronx United strives to promote educational achievement, health and wellness, and character development through activities on and off the soccer field and to UNITE a diverse group of individuals and an incredibly diverse community toward common positive goals.
For more information on South Bronx United, please visit www.southbronxunited.org.
- Sports Coaching
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Must be enthusiastic to work with kids and have some soccer knowledge.
- Non Profit Development Internship
- College Prep Tutor - SAT Prep
- Volunteer Coordinator -...
- Academic Coach (After School...
- Summer Soccer Scholars: Teaching...
- Soccer Coach-Mentor: SBU Global...
- ESOL Tutor
- College Prep Tutor - Seniors
- College Prep Mentor
- Travel Soccer Coach & Mentor
- Head Coach & Mentor for Girls...
- Summer Soccer Scholars: Coaching...
- Girls Soccer Coach & Mentor
- After School Soccer Coach
- College Prep Tutor - Sophomores
- AmeriCorps UP2US Coach & Mentor
- Education Internship
- Youth Recreational Soccer Coach