- "Staff" a Veterans Resource Station in the library for a minimum of one 2-hour shift per week to meet with veterans and/or family members. Serve as expert listener and initial problem solver.
- Help each veteran or veteran family member complete the My CalVet online form at www.calvet.ca.gov, or complete the print version of the "Veterans Reintegration Form." Either of these forms enters the individual into CalVet’s database and helps identify the benefits and services they need and for which they may be eligible. Once in the system, CalVet or a designated representative will make contact with the veteran.
- Guide the veteran toward those benefits that are likely to enhance their particular situation- and, using the California Veteran’s Resource Book, provide contact information for the County Veterans Service Office in their county - of residence, so they can make an appointment. Also, provide a checklist of the basic documents the veteran should take to their appointment in order to expedite their access to services.
- If, during the conversation, additional service needs are identified, provide contact information to other library or community services. If a veteran is in a crisis, refer to the list of emergency service numbers provided.
- Maintain data on number of veterans/family members served, types of questions asked, referrals made, and issues/topic areas needed but not covered in the library’s collection.
- Required Skills:Interest in helping and serving veterans and their families; patience, empathy and good listening and interpersonal skills; familiarity with military life, veterans’ issues, reintegration challenges, or willingness to learn; ability to maintain confidentiality and respect personal boundaries; basic computer and Internet skills required; smart phone experience helpful
- A one-day training will be provided by CalVet about veterans benefits and services, veteran reintegration challenges, listening and problem-solving skills, as well as meaningful information and referral techniques. The library will provide a tour of the facility and the Veterans Resource Station and its contents.
- Basic Computer Skills
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum six months, one two hour shift a week
- After inital one day training, volunteer will be trained as needed