Visitor Information Specialist
The Smithsonian is looking for friendly, outgoing individuals to serve at our information desks!
Visitor Information Specialists provide a warm welcome and useful information to visitors from the Information Desks at Smithsonian museums, galleries, and buildings. Volunteers will engage with visitors and help them plan memorable and exciting experiences so that they can discover all that the Smithsonian has to offer.
Locations vary, depending on availability and vacancies within the program. The Office of Visitor Services is now recruiting volunteers at the following Smithsonian locations:
- African Art Museum
- American History Museum
- American Indian Museum
- Freer|Sackler Galleries
- Postal Museum
- Renwick Gallery
- American Art Museum & Portrait Gallery
- Smithsonian Visitor Center (The Castle)
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES:
This position requires individuals to have strong customer service skills, an approachable and outgoing demeanor, enjoy working with diverse people from around the world, and basic computer skills. Foreign language skills are a plus, but not required.
All applicants must be cleared in a federal background check.
Applicants must be able to volunteer for a minimum of one year, once a week or once every other Saturday/Sunday. Regular shift times are 4 hours in length.
The training program consists of an online orientation to the Smithsonian, 1 day of formal classroom training, and additional on-the-job training specific to the museum where the individual is placed. The next orientation session for this position will take place at the end of March!
Available to individual applicants, 18 years or older.
Instructions to become a Visitor Information Specialist volunteer are outlined below. For further questions please contact the Office of Visitor Services at 202.633.5260 or contact Abbey Earich at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Apply: Complete an online volunteer application, notating position and location preferences.
- Interview: We will review your application and contact you for an interview if your skills and availability match our needs.
- Placement: Individuals who match our needs will be tentatively placed, pending a background investigation clearance and completion of position-specific training.
Ready to share your passion for the Smithsonian with our visitors? Apply to become a Visitor Information Specialist volunteer today at http://si.edu/Volunteer/Museum-Information-Desk.
- Customer Service
- People Skills
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- One 4-hour shift every week or every other weekend