Mobility Ambassador - San Mateo County Transit District
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
WhereMills Peninsula Senior Focus1720 El Camino Real, Ste. 10Burlingame, CA 94010
SamTrans is recruiting volunteer "Mobility Ambassadors" to provide assistance to seniors and people with disabilities in San Mateo County on issues related to mobility--remaining a safe driver, using transit, and alternatives to transit. Ambassadors will be based at selected Senior Centers throughout San Mateo County to provide information, provide one-on-one assistance with mobility issues, and organize group trips to familiarize people with transit. Ambassadors will assist seniors and people with disabilities to understand and self-select the mode of transportation that best satisfies their mobility needs and help them plan their trips.
* The Mobility Ambassadors will conduct activities based on their individual strengths and community needs. They may include, but not be limited to the following:
* Work one-on-one with seniors and people with disabilities in their community to help them understand their mobility options, including individualized trip planning
* Make presentations to community groups about mobility options
* Take individual trips with seniors and people with disabilities to help them learn how to use a transportation service that is new to them
* Organize group field trips to important destinations such as the shopping mall
* Maintain a bulletin board at the Senior Center about transportation options for seniors and people with disabilities at the Senior Center
* Keep transportation information readily available at Senior Centers and other appropriate locations in the community
* Attend programs and events that target seniors and people with disabilities in their community.
Volunteers will be trained to work effectively with seniors and people with disabilities and learn about the various transportation options in the County. SamTrans will also conduct a criminal background check for each volunteer and an in-depth interview to assess the potential volunteer’s ability to work with seniors and people with disabilities. Volunteers will attend regularly scheduled meetings with Program staff and fellow Ambassadors to exchange updates, share experiences, and to work collaboratively on challenges and new programs.
Volunteers will receive sixteen hours of classroom, hands-on, and on-bus training. Volunteers must agree to serve a minimum of 4 hours per week and make a 6-month commitment to the program. Ambassadors will submit monthly reports to the Program Coordinator and will receive a monthly Sam Trans Bus Pass in appreciation for their service.
- Problem Solving
- People Skills
- Community Outreach
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 55
- Orientation or Training
- 4 hours per week for 6 months
- Reading Tutor - Reading Partners
- Food Delivery - Society of St....
- Kitchen/ Food Pantry - Samaritan...
- Radio Operator - Blackberry...
- Early Literacy Program - Avenidas
- Homeless Help Kitchen - Society...
- Shopping Assistance for the...
- Get up & Go Volunteer
- Mills-Peninsula Health Services
- Caring Cupboard - City of San...
- Mobility Ambassador - San Mateo...
- Senior Nutrition
- Recreation Instructor
- SFO Travelers Information
- Monkey Toy Project - Los Altos...
- Meals on Wheels
- San Mateo County Sheriff's Office
- Friendship Center Host/ Hostess-...
- Project Read Literacy Tutor
- Habitat for Humanity Greater SF...