The Trustees of Reservations is the official programming partner of the Boston Public Market (BPM) the first permanent year-round public market in Boston. The Trustees is responsible for developing and promoting free and fee-based programming in the Boston Public Market KITCHEN. KITCHEN programming will focus on encouraging a passion for regionally sourced food and appeal to a diverse audience. KITCHEN Assistants are integral in ensuring a positive experience for program participants and KITCHEN visitors and will also have the opportunity to assist the program leader with prep work, serving, and clean up.
The commitment varies by program. Please include the days/times of day during which you are avaialble to volunteer when you express interest!
Reports to Boston Public Market KITCHEN staff
Responsibilities(may vary by shift)
- Greet participants and visitors, take registration (for programs) and hand out materials.
- Maintain working and conversational knowledge of the Trustees, the Trustees’ KITCHEN, and Boston Public Market and engage visitors in informal food-related activities.
- Register visitors for future classes, promote and sell Trustees memberships.
- Prepare the Trustees’ KITCHEN for programs
- Assist and support chefs, cooks, and presenters including providing supplies, aiding and observing participants, ensuring proper use of equipment preparing materials per chef, presenter, or staff instructions.
- Some programs may have hands-on work preparing, plating, and serving food, both cold and hot dishes
- Cleaning the Trustee’s KITCHEN following a program or open house including stacking chairs and tables, replacing equipment, washing dishes and cookware (in used), sweeping and scrubbing work room and back of house preparation areas
- Report volunteer hours in a timely fashion
- Friendly, outgoing, customer service oriented
- Organized and flexible
- Observant and comfortable in front of an audience
- Comfortable adapting to a variety of tasks based on the programming topic
- Excited to publicly represent the mission of The Trustees
- Familiarity with KITCHEN equipment such as knives, ovens, stoves, small electric KITCHEN appliances, dishwashers, and 3-compartment sinks helpful but not necessary
- Familiarity with audio visual equipment such as microphones, speakers, projectors, screens and computers, preferred
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Physical abilities require continuous standing, walking, bending, reaching, and carrying loads between 15-50 lbs.; occasional climbing, stooping, twisting and fine manipulation; occasional environmental exposure to cold, heat and water; rare exposure to dust and fumes
- Customer Service
- Environmental Education
- Food & Beverage Services
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Varies by program
- Greenhouse Watering Assistant-...
- Cheese Ambassador-Boston Public...
- Kitchen Assistant, Boston Public...
- CSA Packing Assistants- Chestnut...
- Food Pantry Liaison- Chestnut...
- Greenhouse Assistant- Chestnut...
- Property Steward- Dexter Drumlin
- CSA Distribution Coordinator-...
- Property Ambassador- KITCHEN at...
- Harvest Assistants- Chestnut...