If you enjoy learning about local history, interacting with others from all over the world, and are fascinated by the National Historic Landmark Mission Inn Hotel, we encourage you to apply to the Mission Inn Foundation 2018-2019 Docent Training Program for volunteer docents.
- We are accepting applications for the 2018-19 training program through July 31. Docent Training begins September 2018 to and concludes with graduation April 2019.
- Classes meet on Wednesdays from 7-9 p.m. at the hotel.
- Classes consist of lectures, videos, hotel tours, and discussions.
- Topics include the history of the Mission Inn, Riverside, and Southern California, in addition to classes on customer service, teaching styles, and working with adult and child audiences.
- Content includes many interesting stories and facts about the owner and founder, the Mission Inn’s collections, famous visitors, and movies made at the hotel.
- Art, artifacts, and architecture of the Mission Inn are showcased.
- Classes end in late April with a formal graduation ceremony.
- New docents are expected to lead or to assist in four tours a month for two years after graduation after which they may conduct as few as one tour a month.
For information on becoming a docent call the Mission Inn Foundation at 951-781-8241. Those who are fluent in a second language or American Sign Language are particularly needed.
Visit our website for more information and to apply: http://missioninnmuseum.org/join/volunteer/ or call 788-9556. Applications are due July 31, 2018.
- Public Speaking
- Adult Education
- Customer Service
- People Skills
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 8-10 hours/month
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and manuever through a historic building.