Give us 3 hours a week and we will give you great exercise and a lotta love back from our rescue dogs. Do you have 3 hours per week to spare --- for at least 2-3 months? Make sure to click on [+] READ MORE button below to read more information on this opportunity!
RHR volunteers walk dogs, clean kennels and crates, feed dogs, wash dog bowls, give an occasional dog a bath, organize supplies, sometimes take home laundry, and give our pups lots of hugs. Experience it once and you will want to come back! RHR volunteers do all the cleaning and maintenance of the rescue facility as well as caring for and working with the animals. Tasks may include cleaning kennels, walking, feeding and maybe even some laundry. For you, it is a great exercise, provides an opportunity to meet like-minded people and interact with the dogs/puppies! Join our team of caring and awesome volunteers!
- Must be at least 18 years old
- UNDER AGE REQUIREMENT: See our "Junior Volunteer" position
- TIME COMMITMENT: 3 hour shift per week for at LEAST 2-3 month minimum
- Only serious inquiries please
- Footwear: wear sneakers or boots and appropriate outerwear (layers are best). No loose flowing skirts or dresses.
- THING TO CONSIDER: Must pick up dog waste on walks, it's a dirty job but we all have to do it.
- Items to bring:
- Plenty of drinking water. In the summer, there are plenty of restaurants open nearby to purchase food after your shift.
- If you have a 4-6 foot leash please bring each time --- we never seem to have enough leashes
- Suntan lotion
- Bug Spray (warmer months)
- If no pockets, a way to carry plastic bags and newspaper when walking dogs.
- Hand sanitizer - we do provide a sink with soap and paper towels to wash up.
- No treats from home, please only use the treats we have at the kennel.
Monday through Friday: 9:30am to 1pm --OR-- 7pm to 10pm
Weekends: 10am to 1pm --OR-- 6pm to 9pm
- Please complete our Volunteer Application (takes less than 5 minutes) on our website -- Step 1: Go to www.ruffhouserescue.org, Step 2: Go to the "Volunteer" tab, and Step 3: Click on "Volunteer Application"
- Please click on the red button "I want to help!" on the upper left hand corner of the page and
- Include in your comments:
- The one-3 hour shift per week you are available to help at the kennel - day of the week & time slot (see BELOW for shifts)
- If you are at least 18 years old
- Yes/No if you completed our on-line application
- Any questions
- MORE VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES: ** PLEASE CLICK ON THE BLUE "Ruff House Rescue (RHR)" LINK (located on the upper, left-hand side of the page ABOVE the red "I want to help!" button). ** Once a new page opens click on the volunteer listing you are interested in learning more about,
* If this doesn't fit your schedule or your interest please check out our other opportunities listed below!!!
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES WITH RHR:
(Copy and paste the above link into your web browser or Click on the blue "Ruff House Rescue RHR" link located on the upper, left hand corner of the screen)
- **Urgent** Dog Walkers [or] Kennel Cleaners -- 3 hrs/week! (Freeport, NY)
- Adoption Counselors, Post-Adoption Counselors [or] Foster Coordinators (Virtual)
- Create Your Own Volunteer Position (Virtual & In-person)
- E-mail Assistant [or] Social Media Blogger (Virtual)
- Exercise (Walk or Bike) record your miles for Free $$ -- ResQWalk a free mobile app (Virtual Opp)
- Face Book "Likes" -- Promote our Face Book page (Virtual Opportunity)
- Foster-to-Adopt [or] Foster Dogs/Puppies ** Urgent** (Freeport, NY)
- Garage/Tag Sale [or] Tupperware, PartyLite Hosting (Virtual Opportunity)
- Grant Researcher/Writer [or] Fundraising Scout (Virtual)
- Internet Surfing --- 3 Ways to Help Out (Virtual Opportunity)
- Junior Volunteers -- Virtual Opportunities (and In-person too)!
- Transport Our Pets (Near Freeport, NY)
- Owner Surrender Coordinator (Virtual)
- Pennies for RHR Fundraiser -- Easy, Any Age/Group (Virtual Opp)
- Photographers & Videographers (In-person)
- Post Flyers [or] Install/Collect Donation Boxes (Long Island, NY)
- RHR Store Assistant (Long Island)
- Shoppers Get Your Coupons & "Shop-On" (Internet/Virtual Opportunity)
- Supplies for Rescue's Kennel (Virtual and In-person Opportunity)
- Smartphone + Exercise w/ Wooftrax = Free Money for RHR (Virtual)
- Wear Jeans for A Day
If the above Opportunities don't look interesting or don't have the time -- Below are Monetary Ways To Help:
1. Adopt a Dog/Cat:
Pre-Adoption Questionnaire located on www.ruffhouserescue.org
Available pets on Petfinder:
Make your donation larger with your Employer's Matching Grant Program!
Why? They may match dollar for dollar or a certain percentage of your donation for Registered Charities such as Ruff House. Please ask your Human Resource Department if they have one and how to register for their program.
a) Drop-off at Rescue or Order Pet Supplies:
See RHR’s Wish List on Amazon.com (see below) for products needed. Or order on-line if you live outside of the area (Amazon’s RHR’s Wish List): http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/registry.html?ie=UTF8&id=3K6ROSWV2YKHR&type=wishlist
b) Via on-line with Credit Cards (Visa, Master, Discover, American Express):
One time donation or a monthly/automatic donation. You do not have to have a PayPal account to make a donation.
c) Via Mail (With a Check, Money Order or Credit Card):
Credit Card must include 9 pieces of information
- Name of Card Holder
- Card Number
- Master Card, Visa, Discover or American Express
- Billing Address (include zip code)
- Expiration Date
- Security Code (3 digit on the back of the card)
- Phone Number
- E-mail address (to contact you in the future for events and happenings at RHR)
Mail to: Ruff House Rescue, PO Box 365, Oceanside NY 11572
d) Kuranda dog/cat Bed:
https://kuranda.com/donate/10081 (directly put you into RHR's account)
3. Buy Merchandise (t-shirt, tank top, sweater or dog hoodie):
For your someone special’s birthday, Valentine’s, Graduation, Mother’s/Father’s Day, Christmas or other holiday event: http://ruffhouserescue.org & click on the Shop tab.
With an ad or article in the local (NY) news media.
***********************************************************************Our mission is to rescue homeless pets that suffer from abuse, neglect, and indifference. Our goal is to create awareness of the epidemic of homeless pets and educate on the importance of spaying and neutering, ID tagging, and training these pets. Through our rescue efforts we are both saving lives and cultivating the natural connection between man and his best friend.
Website: www.ruffhouserescue.org (for information)
Face Book: Ruff House Rescue NY
Ruff House Rescue, P.O. Box 365, Oceanside, NY 11572
DOGS/CATS FOR ADOPTION OR FOSTER:
THANK YOU FOR LOOKING AT OUR VOLUNTEER POST AT RHR!
- Animal Care / Handling
- Animal Therapy
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- * Commit to one 3-hr shift per week for 3 months
- **Urgent** Dog Walkers [or]...
- Foster-to-Adopt |or| Foster Dogs...
- Junior Volunteers --- In-person...
- Internet Surfing --- 3 Ways to...
- Supplies --- Collect them for...
- Exercise (Bike or Walk or...
- Junior Volunteers -- Virtual...
- Pennies for RHR Fundraiser --...
- Garage/Tag Sale |or| Tupperware,...
- Wear Jeans for A Day
- Photographers |or| Videographers...
- Get Your Coupons & Shop...
- Exercise (Bike or Walk or...
- Create Your Own Volunteer...
- FaceBook "Likes" -- Promote our...