U-R-G-E-N-T!!! Rescue Dog Care/Kennel Support: 3 hrs per week!
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
DONATE TO THIS
247 people are interested
Join our team of caring and awesome volunteers who work at our Rescue facility taking care of our puppies/dogs! Experience it once and you will want to come back! You must be at least 18 years old (sorry no exceptions).
1 animal is euthanized in the U.S. every 16 seconds, 4 million annually (Humane Society of US)."If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." The Dalai Lama
- Socializing and comforting the dogs -- Give our pups lots of love and hugs
- Walk dogs
- Clean kennels/crates
- Prepare food and feed dogs
- Wash dog bowls
- Give an occasional dog a bath
- Organize supplies
- Sometimes take home laundry (not required)
- Teach basic obedience commands (not required)
Length of term:
At least 1-2 month commitment for 3 hours per week. Only 1 shift per week is required (see below for the shifts per day).
4 Available Shifts:
- - Weekday Shift: 9:30 am to 1:00 pm
- - Weekday Shift: 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm
- - Weekend Shift: 10:00 am to 1:00 pm
- - Weekend Shift: 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
- - Must be at least 18 years old
- - Dress code (see below)
- - Volunteers interact with dogs of various sizes, shapes, breeds and manners
- - Must pick up dog waste on walks, it's a dirty job but we all have to do it
- Please complete our Volunteer Application (takes less than 2 minutes) on our website -- click on the "Ruff House Rescue (RHR)" link in the upper left hand corner to get our website address. Once in the website go to the "Join the Team" tab and scroll down to "Volunteer".
- Please click on the red button "I want to help!" on the upper left hand corner of the page and
- Include in your comments:
- The one-3 hour shift per week you are available to help at the kennel - day of the week & time slot
- If you are at least 18 years old
- Yes/No if you completed our on-line application (see #1)
- Any questions/comments
If you do not get a response from us within 5 days please outreach to us at email@example.com
Dress Code & FAQ:
- Footwear: Wear sneakers or in the winter - boots (no flip-flops/open toed shoes)
- Clothing: Appropriate outerwear. Layers are best. No loose flowing skirts or dresses
- Pockets: a way to carry plastic bags and newspaper when walking dogs. If that is not possible a waist/fanny pack
- Additional things to bring:
- - Plenty of drinking water. In the summer, there are plenty of restaurants open nearby to purchase food after your shift.
- - If you have a 4-6 foot leash please bring each time -- we never seem to have enough leashes.
- - Suntan lotion and Bug Spray (warmer months).
- - Hand sanitizer - we do provide a sink with soap and paper towels to wash up.
- - No treats from home, please only use the treats we have at the kennel.
RHR’s website - In the upper left hand corner of this page click on the "Ruff House Rescue" link. Click on the "More Information" tab and the website address is located to the right under "Website".
UNDER AGE REQUIREMENT:
See our "Junior Volunteer" positions
YES Letter provided! Some other ideas -- a "drive" for Kennel Supplies, Start a "RHR Dog Rescue Club" and help our mission (with Baked Goods Sales, Monies/Pennies for RHR Fundraiser, or Wear Jeans or PJs for A Day) or a Garage |Tag Sale at your school | church |community center you could have someone LOCAL be a Coordinator of your hours. Also see the "Exercise + ResQWalk" or "Exercise + Wooftrax" volunteer opportunities where your time and distance exercised is recorded on the cell phone application.
MORE VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES:
PLEASE see below.
Our mission is to rescue homeless pets that suffer from abuse, neglect, and indifference. Our goal is to create awareness of the epidemic of homeless pets and educate on the importance of spaying and neutering, ID tagging, and training these pets. Through our rescue efforts we are both saving lives and cultivating the natural connection between man and his best friend.
THANK YOU FOR LOOKING AT OUR VOLUNTEER POST AT RHR!
We'll work with your schedule.
RHR's RescueFreeport, NY 11520
- Animal Care / Handling
- Animal Therapy
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- * Commit to one 3-hr shift per week for 1-2 months