Safe Families for Children(tm) - Give a Struggling Family a Helping Hand
What if we could stop child abuse before it starts? A family's safety net was their neighbors instead of the government? It wasn't a shameful experience for at-risk families to ask for help? Single moms were connected to support instead of socially isolated? Local government, non-profits, and churches worked together to help families in crisis? Parents could get help without having to stop being parents? You didn't have to "qualify" to be cared for?
The goal of the SFFC ministry is to offer support in a time of need and reunite children with their families in a stronger home environment. This temporary care for children in need gives parents time to establish stability in their homes. Parents voluntarily place their children with a Host Family because of any number of challenges they are facing, such as:
- Sudden unemployment or loss of housing
- Financial difficulties
- Postpartum depression
- Acute illness or hospitalization
- Financial instability
- Domestic violence
- Drug or alcohol addiction
- Incarceration of one parent
Safe Families for Children is an alternative to foster care. In foster care, children are placed into homes through the courts and foster families receive compensation for their care. Through SFFC, parents voluntarily place their children with our volunteer host families who receive no compensation.
A family friend's responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Providing friendship, wisdom and encouragement
- Babysitting, tutoring, or providing rides
- Sharing helpful information about parenting and life in general
- Donating items you no longer need, like furniture, bicycles, etc.
- Supporting parents with children staying with Host Families
- Advocating with/for families seeking the proper academic setting, mental and physical health opportunities, and other resources for their children
Becoming a family friend offers a very rewarding volunteer experience with a flexible schedule. This is a chance to be a part of a social movement serving families and children in your community and create a postivie impact in a child's life.
- Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
- Crisis Intervention
- Child Care
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Must have a compassionate heart