Bigs In Schools (In School Mentors)
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
5 people are interested
In as little as one hour a week, you could change the life of a child forever. Bigs In School is an easy and rewarding way to get involved with a child. It allows volunteer mentors go into schools to spend an hour with one child once a week. One of the unique aspects of Bigs In Schools is that the time is guided by the 20-20-20 rule. Mentors and students spend 20 minutes getting to know each other or catching up, 20 minutes going over homework or reading, and the last 20 minutes participating in recreational activities. Bigs in Schools is a great program for volunteers to share time with a child during their lunch break or in between classes. Matches do not meet over the summer break or during school holidays.
Children with mentors experience incredible life benefits such as:
* Becoming 80% more likely to finish high school
* Becoming 2-4x less likely to bully, lie, cheat, steal or become involved in drugs and/or alcohol
* 78% of our kids coming from a family history of social assistance (parents depending on welfare, food banks, etc., to make ends meet) do not experience the same challenges in their adulthood
* Their life time income is $300,000 dollars more, on average, than youth who did not have mentors
Benefits & Recognition for People who mentor:
* Gain personal growth and development
* Have a positive new perspective on life
* Make a positive difference in the life of a child and the community
* See meaningful improvements in their own mental and physical health
* Report increased levels of happiness and energy
There are no specific skills or experience required, however all volunteers are screened to gauge their appropriateness for our programs.
Currently we are seeking out caring and committed mentors for the following schools:
- Spruce Avenue (Junior High)
- St. Alphonsus (grades K-9)
- John A MacDougall (grade K-6)
- East Glen (High School)
- Delton (grades K-6)
Please contact Janelle Maharaj (780.822.2504, firstname.lastname@example.org ) or check out our website ( http://bgcbigs.ca/bigsinschool) for more information!
We'll work with your schedule.
10135 89 StreetEdmonton, Alberta T5H1P6Canada
- Child Development
- People Skills
- Youth Services
- Literacy / Reading
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- September (or when matched) to May or June
- ? Police check ? Child welfare check ? 1.5 ? 2 hour screening interview ? 1.5 -2 hours volunteer tra