The Ujima Community Garden was started five years ago. The West Humboldt Park Development Council and West Humboldt Park Neighborhood Housing Services partnered to transform a once vacant and dilapidated lot into an inviting place to grow fresh herbs and vegetables, while creating a place to bring together community members in a positive and healthy way.
Help feed our community!
Grow and Grill will allow volunteers and participants to see firsthand how farm to table gardening works. Projects under this initiative include
- Prepping the Garden: cleanup, weeding planting
- Maintaining the Garden: pulling weeds, watering plants
- Garden Expansion: installation of brick grill
- Harvesting the Produce
- Closing the Garden for the winter
Grow and Grill Program
- Distributing produce to community members
- Participation and promotion of community education days and cooking demonstrations
- Participation and promotion of a farm to table dinner event and the end of the season, utilizing products grown in the community garden
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 5
- A great attitude and willingness to help others!