The Grassroots Action Team (GAT) for the American Heart Association helps promote our advocacy work in and around Denver, which contributes to our mission of building healthier lives free of cardiovascular disease and stroke. Duties include serving as regional spokespeople, submitting letters to the editor, contacting members of our grassroots advocacy network, You’re the Cure, meeting with and contacting elected officials and their staff, and assisting with other advocacy activities as identified by the chair. They will also assist in engaging interested parties in various activities related to our grassroots efforts, such as helping to implement our media advocacy plan. This includes working with Colorado Advocacy Staff and other volunteers across the state in order to bring awareness to our issues and promote public policy that improves the health and lives of individuals and communities in the Denver metro area and across Colorado.
Duties will include, but not be limited to:
- Participate in quarterly meetings and/or conference calls concerning grassroots activities.
- Help to identify opportunities and assist when possible in the recruitment of new advocates and volunteers.
- Identify ways to disseminate our educational materials throughout the community.
- Attend coalition meetings across the state and serve as a representative for the AHA.
- Assist the Government Relations Director with internal AHA activities such as: Heart Walk, Wear Red Day and other Advocating for Heart Days at the Capitol.
- Work with social media tools like Facebook, Twitter, and blogs to recruit and energize advocates and educate them on our efforts.
- Write and submit letters to the editor and help to promote other media advocacy opportunities.
The GAT will consist of approximately 15 members with various backgrounds and interest areas with a common interest in improving the health of their community. There will be appointed a chair and vice chair, as well as other specialty positions such as social media lead, as determined by the team. The chair and vice chair will serve a minimum of one (1) year. The chair will work with the AHA Advocacy Staff to facilitate all meetings and guide members in all grassroots activities.
- Public Speaking
- Problem Solving
- Social Media / Blogging
- Community Outreach
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1 to 2 hours per week on average
- Volunteer at the Houston Heart...
- Volunteer at the Waco Heart Walk
- Volunteer at the Siloam Springs...
- Denver Grassroots Action Team
- Volunteer at the Lubbock Heart...
- Volunteer at the Greater Lake...
- Volunteer at the Brazos County...
- Volunteer at the Amarillo Heart...
- Volunteer at the Northwest...
- Fall '16 AHA Advocacy Intern...
- Volunteer at the Permian Basin...
- Volunteer at the Bay Area...