The Board of Directors role is to ensure the health of the organization through governance, financial oversight, visioning and strategic planning, and ensuring the organization has the resources it needs to carry outs its mission.
Women & Family Life is entering a growth phase and looking to develop plans and raise funds to invest in our facility and significantly expanding programs. To accomplish these goals, the Board of Directors is looking to expand the board. We are looking for dynamic, energetic women or men, with a special interest in the following attributes:
- Realtor or knowledge of Real Estate
- Architect and/or Construction Manager
- Accountant or in the accounting field
- Living and/or working in Branford or Madison
- Strong social and professional connections and willingness to share these connections to garner a broad base of support for the Center’s mission.
Board Member Responsibilities
- Engage in W&FL mission as a donor, making a meaningful personal donation, defined as making the Center one of your top three charitable donations for the year.
- Be an ambassador of the Center, introducing to your personal and professional connections and the community, acting as a spokesperson and advocate to attract community resources and goodwill. We ask that each board member strive to raise $3,000 per year through personal giving and assisting with identifying potential new donors.
- Actively participate in board meetings by reading board materials ahead of time and asking questions as necessary to be prepared for discussions and decisions. Attend at least 80% of board meetings and actively participate in at least one committee or task force.
- Actively participate in W&FL fundraising events by purchasing & selling tickets, soliciting sponsorships, auction items, etc.
- Work in good faith with staff and other board members as partners towards achievement of our goals by staying informed about W&FL mission and programs, taking responsibility for making decisions on policy issues.
- Disclose conflicts of interest and excuse yourself from discussions and votes as appropriate.
- Attend the annual strategic planning retreat and attend board educational events that enhance your skills as a board member.
Community Involvement Activities
- Guilford Fund for Education Spelling Bee Team (April)
- Lenny & Joe’s Carousel Donation Day, Madison (TDB June)
- Guilford Rotary LobsterFest Volunteer at Pie Booth (3 rd Saturday in June)
- Guilford Citizens Parade (3 rd Saturday in September)
- Ensure success of Men Who Cook by securing Sponsorships, Ticket Sales, Auction items
- Provide names for December and Spring appeals and write personal notes
- Write Thank you letters and make thank you phone calls to donors
- Attend donor thank you events
- Engage new donors and invite to events and/or set up meeting with ED
Development Committee: Work with W&FL development staff and board to set priorities, plans and lead board engagement in those plans.
Men Who Cook Committee: Assist in all areas of planning and logistics, recruit and engage volunteers
Facilities Committee: Determine short and long-term facilities needs and costs, develop vision/plans for future use of facility and work with develop committee to create naming opportunities.
25 th Anniversary Committee: Develop plans for 25 th Anniversary celebrations and work with Development and Facilities Committee to create fundraising goals and plans.
Finance Committee: Help create and monitor annual budget. Assist Treasurer and ED in creating long-term financial plans. Assist Development Committee review and assess donations with restrictions and/or affiliated costs as per gift acceptance policy.
- Grant Writing / Research
- Donor Management
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Once per month meetings and occasional events
- Fundraising requirements per board member