ACE After School Program Description: combines homework tutoring and extracurricular activitiesto providestudents in Grades 5-12 with support, learning opportunities, and structured activities during out-of-school hours. In order to participate in workshops and activities, students must be formally enrolled in the After-School Program and commit to attending regularly. The two Volunteer Positions in the After School Program are:Tutors and Activity Assistants. Volunteers provide academic and social guidance, support, and encouragement to students participating in After School tutoring and activities. Volunteers must be flexible to work with one student, several students, or in a small group as needed.
The goals of the After School Program: (1) provide a structured environment for students to receive academic support and assistance to complete school assignments and become independent learners; (2) provide interactive extracurricular and recreational activities that enrich students' academic, social-emotional, and physical well-being by hosting partner facilitators from the Worcester community.
Tutor & Activity Assistant Responsibilities:
- Assist students with school homework assignments, projects, & lessons on paper and on computers. (When students complete homework, they may use ACE-approved computer programs and read independently and with tutor assistance.)
- Encourage students to become confident, independent learners by assisting in the following academic skills: studying, organization, and time management
- Assist Activity and Leadership Facilitators by explaining directions and providing examples in small group work
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Must pass a CORI background check
- Skills: Excellent communication and interpersonal skills & computer literacy
- Enthusiasm, creativity, and ability to take initiative
- Desire to gain or previous experience teaching or tutoring English Language Learners, knowledge of African cultures, and/or experience with refugee youth
- Attend mandatory 2-hour New Volunteer Orientation to learn more about the ACE organization, students, volunteer opportunities, policies, and expectations.
- Commit to a minimum of 2 hours/week for at least 3½ months before receiving confirmation of schedule and position from Volunteer Coordinator
- Consistent attendance: 2 or more absences in 4 months may result in suspension or termination from volunteer position. Communicate absences and tardiness to supervisor at least 48 hours in advance.
- Read the ACE Volunteer Handbook and comply with all other volunteer requirements
- Participate in at least 1 Volunteer Training offered every 4 months
- General Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Reading / Writing
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum of 2 hours per week