In the United States, about half of the population cannot read at an 8th grade level. In Los Angeles, 1 in 3 adults lack basic prose literacy skills. Every important social issue, from health, gender equality, and poverty is impacted by low literacy, and when individuals learn how to read, write, do basic math, and use computers, they have the power to ultimately change their lives.
Tutor an adult to read and write at the Monrovia Public Library. Many of our learners wish to improve their reading, writing, and conversational skills. Volunteers receive free required literacy training and support. All materials are provided. You must be 18 or older, and commit to one year.
Tutors have five main responsibilities:
- Meet your learner twice a week for 1 hour each session
- Prepare materials for your learner
- Be creative and patient in assisting your learner
- Track progress through weekly online reports
- Commit to tutor training workshops (both in-person and online)
If you choose this option, please provide an email address so the literacy coordinator may contact you.
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours/week minimum for 1 year
- An active email address