Iowa Legal Aid provides free, high quality legal education, advice and representation to low-income and elderly Iowans with civil legal problems. If you would like a meaningful, dynamic and professional volunteer opportunity, please consider volunteering with Iowa Legal Aid’s Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC).
- Assist with preparation of past due returns or amending returns.
- Assist with audits, audit reconsiderations, appeals or seeking collection alternatives.
- Provide client with basic recordkeeping tips and pointers to assist client in being more successful going forward.
- Certified Public Accountant / Enrolled Agent.
- Maintain confidentiality and provide representation consistent with professional requirements, Circular 230 and IRC 7216.
Training and Support:
- Volunteers will have access to free on-line legal resources through probono.net and co-counseling.
- Volunteers will receive notifications of available trainings provided by Iowa Legal Aid.
- Volunteers will be covered under Iowa Legal Aid’s malpractice coverage.
- Most cases are placed externally and service is provided by the volunteer at his or her regular place of business.
- Volunteers needing office space to perform volunteer activities or wishing to only work on in-house cases may make arrangements with the regional Iowa Legal Aid office. Tax Software is available in some regional offices.
- Iowa Legal Aid offices are located in Cedar Rapids, Council Bluffs, Davenport, Des Moines, Dubuque, Iowa City, Mason City, Ottumwa, Sioux City and Waterloo.
- The time commitment will depend on the volunteer’s availability and Iowa Legal Aid’s needs.
- Work with dedicated, passionate and collegial staff and volunteers.
- Positively impact members of your community.
If you are interested in this volunteer position, please visit our website at http://www.iowalegalaid.org/volunteers
For more information about Iowa Legal Aid, go to http://www.iowalegalaid.org/ and http://iowalegalaidfoundation.org/
- ETC / Tax Assistance
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- At least 3 months