Weir River Farm is a picturesque 75-acre working farm in Hingham, MA owned by the Trustees. At the farm, we celebrate local agriculture and the hard-work of our farmers through engaging the community in the mission of the farm and by bringing farm education to children and families. Public programs and events invite the public to visit the farm to meet our barnyard animals, enjoy a local farm dinner, and to learn about where their food comes from. We host preschool programs, family drop-in programs, field trips, summer camp, farm dinners, festivals, and more. Overall, our programs focus on connecting children to the world around them, including their local food system, teaching them to love and appreciate our local farmers and local agriculture from an early age.
Weir River Farm is seeking volunteers who have experience working with children and who are looking for an opportunity to use their experience to assist us in running family programs. Engagement volunteers work directly with our Farm Educator to engage children and their families who visit the farm for our Wednesday Story Hour. No experience with livestock is required, but a general comfort around livestock animals is necessary.
Responsibilities: Duties would include (but are not limited to):
- Assisting Engagement Manager and Farm Educator in set-up/clean-up of educational/interactive materials for weekly Barnyard Story Hour
- Engaging the public through talking about the farm, animals and the overall Trustees mission. Educational information and materials will be provided to volunteers
- Serve as a friendly, engaging face for all those visiting our Story Hour program
- Assisting children create crafts
- Assisting families in interacting with the animals and overall experience of the farm
- Logging volunteer hours
- Have reliable transportation to the Farm
- Enjoy working with children and their parents/guardians
- Have excellent communication skills
- Have a patient and sympathetic attitude
- Are confident in leading story telling sessions amongst groups of children and their parents/guardians
- Are reliable and able to commit to weekly sessions
- Sit for upwards of an hour
- Able to speak clearly for upwards of an hour
- Minimum age: 16 years old
Time Commitment Needed
Barnyard Story Hour: Wednesdays 9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. May through October; 1-4 volunteers depending on schedule/availability.
Weir River Farm, 140 Turkey Hill Lane, Hingham, MA 02043
For more information
Contact Eileen Small, Volunteer Resources Coordinator, 781-784-0567 x5501, firstname.lastname@example.org
To explore other volunteer opportunities or sign up as a team, visit our volunteer page at http://volunteer.thetrustees.org/
More about The Trustees
Founded by landscape architect Charles Eliot in 1891, The Trustees has, for more than 125 years, been a catalyst for important ideas, endeavors, and progress in Massachusetts. As a steward of distinctive and dynamic places of both historic and cultural value, The Trustees is the nation’s first preservation and conservation organization, and its landscapes and landmarks continue to inspire discussion, innovation, and action today as they did in the past. We are a nonprofit, supported by members, friends and donors and our 116 sites are destinations for residents, members, and visitors alike, welcoming millions of guests annually. www.thetrustees.org.
The Trustees is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, military service, application for military service, veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. The Trustees makes reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
- Reading Comprehension
- Child Development
- Youth Services
- Literacy / Reading
- Reading / Writing
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- May-October, Wednesday, 9:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
- Boat House Steward - Norris...
- Gardening Volunteer - Weir River...
- Communications Intern - Francis...
- Event Volunteer - Bird Park
- Invasive Species Control...
- Event Volunteer at Eleanor Cabot...
- Guest Services Ambassador -...
- Horticulture Volunteer - Bradley...
- Gardening Volunteer - Mytoi
- Garden Clean-Up - Mytoi
- Communications Intern - Bradley...
- Drop-In Tuesday Gardening -...
- Gardening Volunteer - The FARM...
- Nest Box Monitor - Charles River...
- Wednesday Garden Crew - Haskell
- Communications Outreach...
- Friday Community Garden...
- Skilled Trades Volunteer -...
- Painter Volunteer - Weir River...
- Children's Public Program...