The San Diego History Center is seeking reliable and energetic volunteers to serve as Gallery Guides in our museum in the heart of Balboa Park.
Gallery Guides work throughout the galleries to help visitors get the most out of their visit. Gallery Guides are trainined in the stories behind the exhibitions and work hand in hand with docents to engage visitors by answering questions and sharing information about the museum, its exhibits, and its programs. Guides also facilitate interpreation of exhibitions through the use of "Curiosity Carts" which allow hands on experiences for visitors.
Gallery Guide Requirements
* Outgoing and friendly demeanor
* Willingness to interact with visitors of all ages from around the globe
* Desire to learn and teach San Diego History
Expectations of Guides
* Act as a partner with Education staff in fostering knowledge and understanding of San Diego and its history.
* Commit to 2-4 three hour shifts per month.
* Be reliable, prompt and communicative with staff.
This is a great opportunity for volunteers of all ages including younger volunteers (15 or older please!) who need community service hours for their school or college applications. Schedules are flexible and available for after school and weekends.
To learn more about this and all SDHC volunteer opportunities or to apply, please visit our website https://www.sandiegohistory.org/volunteer
- Public Speaking
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- 6 hour a month minimum
- Must be reliable and flexible!