Angel Covers is seeking an additional board member to fill an existing 3 year term. This is very active board, with meeting (usually by phone) aproximately every 6 weeks. A willingness to work behind the scenes for Angel Covers is important and a passion for impoverished kids is a must. Someone with a medical or non-profit management background is prefered but not required.
General Responsibility: Every 501(c) (3) nonprofit has a Board. The board of directors of Angel Covers is responsible for ensuring the organization is effective, financially sound and provides guidance and governance for Angel Covers.Specific responsibilities include:
- As a part of a fiduciary relationship, board members will work closely and cooperatively with the Executive Director to develop, implement, and evaluate all aspects of the organization, including but not limited to its programs, personnel, and guiding principles.
- Board members are responsible for making sure the organization is well managed. Therefore, board members have the authority and responsibility to hire, supervise and manage the Executive Director. They also ensure that the Executive Director has what she/he needs to do the job, is supported, and held accountable through evaluation on a regular basis. Staff and programs of the organization should be run efficiently and at the highest ethical standards.
- Board members are legally responsible for ensuring that money is raised and spent in a responsible manner. This means that board members must help create or approve a budget that they fully understand and must review income and expenses on a regular basis. In some cases, this means that the people who handle the money should be bonded. The Board is responsible for making sure the organization has adequate insurance and an annual audit (often required by donors).
- Board members are responsible for raising funds for the organization. While fundraising work may be given over to staff (as is normal practice), the Board has overall responsibility for creating and approving the budget and for insuring that the budget is raised. Each Board member should make a direct personal financial contribution to the budget. Each Board member must also be willing to participate in fundraising activities, cultivate donors, and promote the organization in the community.
- Board members are responsible for creating the organization’s identity. This means that Board members need to develop or support fulfilling the organization’s mission, make decisions about program directions, set policies and guidelines, and take part in long-range planning.
- Board members always act in good faith and in the best interests of Angel Covers.
- Board members must attend at least 75% of all Board of Director meetings in any given year, including all special meetings as established under the by-laws and committee meetings.
- Uphold and abide by all policies, procedures and standards of the organization including the conflict of interest policy.
- General Education
- Business Development
- Child Welfare
- Children Medical Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- approximately 2.5 years.