WhenThu Sep 01, 2016 08:30 AM - Fri Sep 01, 2017 05:30 AM
Where369 Main StreetOrange, NJ 07050
Interested in gaining hands-on classroom experience? Want to prepare struggling students for success? The EECO AmeriCorps Engagement Advocate position might be the perfect fit for you.
Beyond our premium employment benefits like free healthcare, childcare, gym membership, weekly trainings, loan deferral and scholarship opportunities, Engagement Advocates develop practical leadership skills that will strengthen any individual’s career goals.
Engagement Advocates provide direct service to children, parents and community members based on the priorities set by the school principal, the Orange School District, and EECO AmeriCorps program. During the school day, Engagement Advocates are matched with students who have missed 10% or more of in-school time. Using constructive classroom behavior management and teaching strategies, Engagement Advocates reinforce a positive school environment for students who might otherwise be absent.
Position Title: Engagement Advocate
Hours of Service: 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday-Friday
- Keep daily and weekly attendance logs that monitor student attendance and reasons for their absences.
- Schedule small group meetings and/or individual check-ins with students to increase engagement and personalization with students, develop strategies and set goals for attendance and academic and socio-emotional successes.
- Provide referrals as necessary to community school coordinator, guidance counselor, and/or school administrator.
- Serve as an in class teacher support for the school year in an assigned classroom.
- Assist in classrooms with individuals or small groups of students.
- Work with individual or small groups of students to reinforce learning of materials or skills introduced by the supervisor.
- Be prepared with own lesson plans and activities as needed.
- Observe in classrooms to become familiar with classroom routines, textbooks and materials, and the main topics of major subjects taught at each grade level.
- Assist in the implementation of MATH 180, a math intervention to improve math scores.
- Assist with and participate in school events, parent meetings, and other school and community initiatives.
Out of School Time
- Assist with implementation of after school activities/program.
- Serve as camp counselor for k-12 students participating in out-of-school time programs including winter break, spring break, and summer camp.
- Assist with summer camps and academies in Orange Public Schools and local community based organizations.
Training and Evaluation:
- Participate in multi-day orientation and ongoing training opportunities
- Attend personal and professional development training
- Exposure to social issues related to low-income educational settings
- Develop presentation skills in on-site and school-based education sessions
- Attend National Days of Service, AmeriCorps week and events sponsored by the New Jersey Commission on National and Community Service
- Assist evaluators in gathering information related to program improvement
- Free childcare
- Free health insurance
- Free gym membership to the Montclair State University Recreation Center
- Training Certification from the MSU Network for Educational Renewal
- Deferred Student Loan.
- Internship Stipend- $12,530
- Education scholarship- $5,700
Center for Community Engagement
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Crisis Counseling
- Community Outreach
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Monday - Friday 8:30am-5:30pm
- U.S. Citizen