115 people are interested
115 people are interested
Office volunteers serve a unique role as a liaison among staff, residents, and other volunteers. This provides one of our most interactive volunteer opportunities. The primary tasks include:
- Answering phones and transferring calls to correct staff member.
- When a person calls requesting shelter, it is important to obtain enough information to determine if the person really needs shelter and is suitable for our shelter, to do this we use our phone screening.
- You might collect in-kind donations from a donor during their scheduled appointment time and provide their receipt.
- You might help other volunteers or residents have access to the supplies they need.
- There are many opportunities to take on additional or alternate responsibilities in the office volunteer role.
*this role requires at least a (2) hour training after orientation.
- morning / 08:00 AM to 10:00 AM
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
About Haven House
121 WHITEHILLS DR, EAST LANSING, MI 48823, US
Haven House provides emergency housing and support services for one-parent and two-parent families with children. The shelter helps families who are homeless prepare for permanent housing by developing and promoting self-sufficiency, stability, and financial responsibility.
Haven House provides families with temporary housing between permanent homes, and the tools to maintain their own stable home.
Haven House has provided temporary shelter for homeless families since 1983. Over the years, the scope of our programs and services has increased dramatically. Not only do we support our residents with basic needs such as shelter, food, clothing, and personal needs items, but we have developed programs that will make an impact on the lives of our families after they have left our shelter.
Giving our residents the opportunity to improve their lives through goal setting, training, and education enables them to become more productive and less apt to become homeless in the future.
- Staff members meet with residents once a week to develop a Weekly Plan which includes plans for seeking housing and meeting personal and financial needs.
- Staff members meet daily with residents to discuss progress in finding permanent housing and provide advice in dealing with landlords and local agencies. Residents develop personal budgets that are realistic and goal plans that are productive.
- Once a week we have a Great Parents Great Start works with parents and children birth to 5 years to learn positive parenting skills.
- Our tutoring program helps children maintain educational progress during a time of family crisis.
- A visiting nurse from the Ingham County Health Department provides assistance to our residents.
- Many volunteers help in the office, provide activities for children and families, handle many other tasks to assist residents and ex-residents and help the shelter run smoothly.
- Upon exiting, our residents receive an "exit bucket" filled with cleaning supplies and personal needs items. They may also receive a Food Bank box of food to help them get established.
-Local schools work closely with us on getting our children enrolled in school or keeping them in their former school. We expect all school- age children to attend school every day.
-Our Partners in Progress is a transitional housing program that assists families after they leave the shelter. A staff member works with the former residents to set realistic goals and monitor progress in employment, budgeting, arranging childcare, improving parenting skills, and connecting with the neighborhood and the community. Our goal is to build strong families, increase employment success and prevent future homelessness.
-A HUD grant enables us to provide subsidized rents and services to several families with disabilities.
121 Whitehills DriveEast Lansing, MI 48823
August 24, 2021
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
- Office Management
- Office Reception
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 or more hours, once a week.