- VISTAs collaboratively plan and implement sustainable programs that recruit and train volunteers for tutoring low performing reading, writing and math students in the middle school setting
- call upon community organizations, senior and retirement communities and houses of worship to seek tutoring candidates.
- Develop system for screening and matching mentors. Create database of volunteers for tutoring opportunities; develop plan for consistency and sustainability of tutoring programs throughout the school district. Track progress of tutoring program including number of students/tutors participating and advancements.
- Organize recruiting events,
- Collaborate with teachers to promote and celebrate academic achievement;
- Host college and career exploration events to investigate jobs and education opportunities available post high school. Spotlight STEM career opportunities each month and have someone engaged in the career present to students. Initiate good health initiatives focusing on healthy bodies creating healthy minds.
- Develop community partnerships for volunteer and/or financial support for VISTA programs.
- Plan community service projects that can participate with National Service activities. Attend School Board, PTO and other community organization meetings to maintain awareness of school, community and other activities. Ensure funds necessary to carry out programs proposed by VAD.
- Document participants, record outcomes for effectiveness of projects. Journal all activities and post results to create history of VISTA efforts and provide opportunities for sustainability.
Program Benefits : Relocation Allowance , Childcare assistance if eligible , Living Allowance , Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend , Health Coverage* , Training .
Application process must go through the Americorps VISTA website:
- Capacity Planning
- Reporting & Dashboards
- Community Outreach
- Program Management
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training