ESL tutors at the YMCA International Services will provide small group and/or one-on-one tutoring to a refugee, asylee, or victim of human trafficking in order to improve English language skills.
- Volunteer will uphold YMCA mission, values, and guidelines.
- Volunteer must maintain client confidentiality.
- Volunteer will properly log all volunteer hours.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills are REQUIRED.
- Ability to work with people of diverse cultures.
- Ability to be flexible in teachings but minimal outside prep work is necessary.
- Professionalism and a great attitude.
- Prior experience in tutoring/teaching is a plus.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM:
YMCA International Service has a flexible ESL program which is engaging for the students and rewarding for the tutors. The ESL classes are facilitated by an instructor who breaks the class into small groups based on their level. Tutors will then work more closely with the students according to their specific needs.
ESL classes in the community are offered to students of all English levels from a number of different countries. The ESL classes at YMCA International Services are structured so a new student is welcome any day of the week.
The classes are structured so that it is very easy for fluent English speakers to tutor. The level of English which is taught is basic. Some students need to start with the fundamental basics (ABC’s, Numbers, and Name) while others are ready to move onto slightly more advanced English (giving and taking directions, basic forms/job applications, and work related conversations).
- Literacy / Reading
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 2-5 hours per week
- Must have reliable transportation to the SW Houston Area.