It just takes one positive adult in the life of a child to make difference! The Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Iowa hopes you will be the next one to be the bright light in the lives of our Club kids. Volunteers can participate in various ways within our Club sites including the following:
- Reading and homework help
- Arts and crafts
- Sports and fitness
- Music programs
- Cooking programs
- Science activities
- Character and leadership development
- Education/career development
Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Iowa works (BGCCI) with our volunteers to understand their gifts and talents to find the right fit for them. Our Club volunteers usually work with us in one of two ways. Sometimes people only have a certain time frame during their day they are available to volunteer with the kids, which is great. BGCCI is flexible on scheduling volunteer times and works with each individual to try to accomodate the time frame in which they would like to participate.
Volunteers can also participate with us based upon their interests. Do you like cooking? Are you excited about science. Do you wish you could teach kids some cool dance moves? BGCCI provides our kids with a variety of programming, so if you have a hobby you adore or a skill you would like to share, we will try to provide a match for you.
We have 5 different Club locations that serve various ages. Please see below for all Club listings:
- Bernie and Berniece Baker Club: Amos Hiatt Middle School, 1214 E 15 th Street, Des Moines, IA 50316 (Assist with kids 11-18 years of age)
- Ellis I. Levitt Club: Carver Elementary School, 705 E. University Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50316 (Assist with kids 5-11 years of age)
- Frank J. Ross Club: Moore Elementary School, 3716 50th Street, Des Moines, IA 50310 (Assist with kids 5-11 years of age)
- McCombs Club: McCombs Middle School, 201 County Line Rd., Des Moines, IA 50320 (Assist with kids 11-18 years of age)
- Meredith Club: Meredith Middle School, 4827 Madison Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50310 (Assist with kids 11-18 years of age)
All applicants must fill out our volunteer interest form and background check form located at http://www.bgcci.org/Give/volunteer.aspx. Please email the form to Elaine Collet at firstname.lastname@example.org. After the background check is approved volunteers attend an orientation session. The orientation will provide history about BGCCI and explain our volunteer expectations.
Thank you for considering this opportunity to make a difference in the life of a child. We look forward to working with you.
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Depends on the volunteer