Being an American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (ACS CAN) Volunteer Legislative Ambassador can be an incredibly rewarding experience. We have all been touched by cancer. You can help fight back by becoming a Legislative Ambassador and working with elected officials at the local, state and federal levels to make cancer prevention, early detection and research a national priority.
ACS CAN will defeat cancer by:
* Funding aggressive grassroots, lobbying and media campaigns to make every state smoke-free and to increase tobacco taxes and funding for cancer research. We advocate for early detection programs such as mammograms and colon cancer screenings.
* Educating the public and media directly by supporting sophisticated training programs for volunteers to strengthen our movement and ensure that our voices are truly heard in the halls of government.
* Hosting debates and producing voter guides, candidate forums, and advertising to get every lawmaker and candidate on the record in support of laws and policies that help people fight cancer and save lives.
Anywhere in Connecticut.
Legislative Ambassadors work closely with ACS CAN staff in support of local, state, and federal grassroots advocacy activities within state and federal legislative districts. Ambassadors play an integral role in helping to achieve ACS CAN’s goal to make cancer a top national priority with elected officials throughout the country.
* Responding to and sharing ACS CAN action alerts
* Recruiting new volunteer Legislative Ambassadors
* Recruiting new ACS CAN members
* Participating in trainings and conference calls when possible
* Participating in at least one legislative in-district meeting per year
* Sending a letter of introduction to your elected officials
* Sending letters to the editor to the local media as needed
* Attending the annual Day at the Capitol
* Attending or speaking at legislative hearings and State House sessions as needed
* Integrating ACS CAN into Relay For Life and Making Strides Against Breast Cancer events
No prior legislative experience needed!
- People Skills
- Community Outreach
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 2 to 4 hours a month; 2-year commitment requested