Summary of Position
The computer lab associate serves by providing support with general customer service and support duties for the Customer Service department of the Pikes Peak Workforce Center (PPWFC). The objective of this role is to enhance the customer experience at PPWFC and to help develop the capacity of the Customer Service team to serve more job seekers in El Paso and Teller Counties, ultimately having a greater positive economic impact within the Pikes Peak Region. A person in this role will work directly with customers.
- Provide one-on-one support to job-seekers in the computer lab.
- Assist customers with basic computer operating questions (e.g. saving documents, printing, word processing, e-mail, using the internet)
- Assist customers with completion of specific computer training and/or assessments
- Monitor customers when taking assessments
- Help PPWFC staff ensure customers demonstrate appropriate behavior
- Explain computer classes and answer questions
- Provide encouragement and understanding
- Adhere to the PPWFC customer service standards at all times
- Complete required tracking of volunteer hours, tasks completed, etc., as appropriate for position
- Participate in volunteer evaluations to improve mutual satisfaction and the volunteer program itself
- Attend meetings, trainings and events as requested and when possible.
- Understand and adhere to all programmatic and agency policies
- Perform related duties as assigned
- Must be at least 18 years old and possess a High School Diploma or GED
- Experience in teaching, computer lab supervision or a related area highly preferred
- Experience with career readiness assessments a plus
- The ability and willingness to learn about computer training and assessments
- Be comfortable working one-on-one with customers and providing guidance and teaching
- Proficient with standard office equipment such as computer, multi-line telephone, fax machine, copier, scanner, etc.
- Highly proficient with Microsoft OfficeÔ software: Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.
- Excellent people skills; sense of humor and patience a must
- Commitment to provide excellent customer service
- A high degree of professionalism and a friendly, positive attitude
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment
Term of Service
The volunteer must commit to a minimum of 6 months of service, at least 9 hours per month in shifts of no less than 3 hours. Shifts are flexible, but must be within the hours of 8am to 5pm, Monday through Friday.
- Enhanced professional development in the area of customer service and workforce development
- Increased skills in working with the public and diverse populations
- Play an integral part in helping a job seeker increase employability or get a job
- Improve the economic vitality of the Pikes Peak Region
- Work with a great team of supportive, devoted professionals who are invested in your personal success
- Orientation to PPWFC and volunteer program will be provided and is mandatory before starting volunteer service.
- Position-specific training/support will be provided by PPWFC and is mandatory before starting volunteer service.
- Ongoing support from Volunteer Services Coordinator and department staff.
Department Customer Service
Reports to Volunteer Services Coordinator and Customer Service Team Lead or Designee
Work Conditions Work is performed in an office environment.
Selection, Training and Development Process
- Complete a PPWFC Volunteer Inquiry online at www.ppwfc.org
- Interview with the Volunteer Services Coordinator
- Pass a background and reference check
- Complete all necessary volunteer paperwork
- Sign a written volunteer agreement to commit to a minimum of 6-months of service
- Attend mandatory orientation (provided by PPWFC)
- Complete mandatory position-specific training
- Adult Education
- People Skills
- Basic Computer Skills
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Computer Science
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 9 hrs/month for 6 months
- 3 hour shifts