Summary of Position
The career center associate will serve by providing support with general customer service and administrative duties for the Customer Service department of the Pikes Peak Workforce Center (PPWFC). The objective of this role is to enhance the customer experience at PPWFC and to help develop the capacity of the Customer Service team to serve more job seekers in El Paso and Teller Counties. A person in this role will work directly with job seekers who are unemployed or underemployed.
- Provide one-on-one support to job-seekers in the career center
- Assist customers with basic computer operating questions (e.g. saving documents, printing, word processing, e-mail, using the internet)
- Refer customers to appropriate resources, direct customers to job search related websites
- Assist customers with use of fax machines, telephones, copier, etc.
- Help PPWFC staff ensure customers demonstrate appropriate behavior and correct use of equipment at all times
- Assist with online applications and/or completion of a resume
- Provide encouragement and understanding
- Adhere to the PPWFC customer service standards at all times
- Complete required tracking of volunteer hours, tasks completed, etc., as appropriate for position
- Participate in volunteer evaluations to improve mutual satisfaction and the volunteer program itself
- Attend meetings, trainings and events as requested and when possible
- Understand and adhere to all programmatic and agency policies
- Perform related duties as assigned
- Must be at least 18 years old and possess a High School Diploma or GED
- The ability and willingness to learn about job search tools and websites
- Be comfortable working one-on-one with job seekers and providing guidance and teaching
- Proficient with standard office equipment such as computer, multi-line telephone, fax machine, copier, scanner, etc.
- Highly proficient with Microsoft OfficeÔ software: Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.
- Excellent people skills; sense of humor and patience a must
- Commitment to provide excellent customer service
- A high degree of professionalism and a friendly, positive attitude
- Comfortable in a fast paced environment
Term Of Service
The volunteer must commit to a minimum of 6 months of service, at least 9 hours per month in shifts of no less than 3 hours. Shifts are flexible, but must be within the hours of 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Enhanced professional development in the area of customer service and workforce development
- Increased skills in working with the public and diverse populations
- Play an integral part of helping a job seeker increase employability or get a job
- Improve the economic vitality of the Pikes Peak Region
- Work with a great team of supportive, devoted professionals who are invested in your personal success
- Orientation to PPWFC and volunteer program will be provided and is mandatory before starting volunteer service.
- Position-specific training/support will be provided by PPWFC and is mandatory before starting volunteer service.
- Ongoing support from Customer Service Manager and department staff.
Department Customer Service
Reports to Customer Service Manager or Designee
Work Conditions Work is performed in an office environment.
Selection, Training and Development Process
- Complete a PPWFC Volunteer Inquiry
- Interview with the Customer Service Manager
- Pass a background and reference check
- Complete all necessary volunteer paperwork
- Sign a written volunteer agreement to commit the above term of service
- Attend mandatory orientation (provided by PPWFC)
- Complete mandatory position-specific training
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
- Office Reception
- People Skills
- Basic Computer Skills
- Microsoft Office Suite
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 9 hrs/month for 6 months
- 3 hour shifts