Parent Leader - Harvey, IL
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
5 people are interested
The primary criteria for recruiting these parent leaders will be their passion, desire, and enthusiasm for making positive changes in their family and community. There are no age restrictions and all community residents who consider themselves parents are eligible for volunteering, including teen parents, grandparents, foster parents, and non-custodial fathers. Previous experience with and training by Strengthening Families Illinois will be considered a plus. The project will be highly structured and facilitated through a comprehensive implementation manual.
Once parent leaders are trained, they will form teams to design and implement service projects which will contribute to building protective factors in their community. Service projects will be designed with an eye toward making a positive contribution to the community. There will be service projects for each community including: a "Parents Guide to What’s Good in the Neighborhood" and ongoing parent cafes (or other ways to teach parents in the community about the protective factors and assist them with strengthening their families).
Peer-to-peer community outreach using Parent Leaders is an effective and empowering way to engage Chicago-area residents in ongoing conversation around violence prevention, mental wellness and positive coping strategies to stress and trauma. In this component of the Parent Leadership Training Initiative (PLTI), the Parent Leadership in Action Network (PLAN) will:
- Identify low-income parents and other caregivers of color in various communities who have been "through the fire" in dealing with their own issues (life struggles) and have navigated the tricky waters and challenges of raising adolescents;
- Recruit these parents for volunteerism (8 hours per week) doing community education and outreach to their peers (other parents of adolescents);
- Arm these parents with content (mental wellness) communications, training on prevention (violence) strategies and leadership training;
- Provide ongoing personal development opportunities, including group activities; and
- Prepare these new parent leaders to become "go-to" resources in the neighborhood.
We'll work with your schedule.
MarkhamDixmoorPhoenixHarvey, IL 60426
- Community Outreach
- Professional Development
- Relationship Building
- Life Coaching
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 8 hours per week
- attend mandatory training sessions