In this volunteer role, reporting to and in partnership with the Executive Director, the Director of Outreach is to build relationships with potential partners and supporters, i.e. other non profits, organizations, groups and individuals, for the purpose of gaining exposure for our exhibits and ensure that our volunteers are well trained to interpret exhibits during outreach events. As a new position in the organization, the Director of Outreach will have the opportunity to continue to build upon the outreach function within the organization.
Founded in 2008, MoSS's mission is to inspire and educate people in their communities about science and sustainable living. This entirely volunteer-run 501(c)3 achieves this mission by bringing portable science exhibits to events, communities, libraries, and schools for free (in most cases)
For more information, please visit thebigmoss.org
- Maintain and establish new relationships with key partners and volunteers.
- Manage a small team of 2-8 volunteers.
- Strategize to maximize the reach of our programs.
- Create a relationship building plan to extend current outreach efforts.
- Contact organizations, groups, and individuals and make them aware of our vision and mission.
- Develop a team of Outreach/Exhibit Volunteers to attend outreach events.
- Be well versed in our current exhibits
- Partner with the Director of Exhibits to ensure newly created exhibits will meet our outreach needs.
- Take part in recruiting, and training Outreach Coordinators and Outreach Event Volunteers.
- Attend and lead the Science Saturday outreach event the second Saturday of each month Oct - April each year.
- Meet with the Operation Team once a month August - May.
- It is essential that this person be comfortable with public speaking
- Good communication skills within the organization and on behalf of our organization
- Experience with relationship building across organizations.
- Background in communications a plus.
- At least two years of coordinating events and/or exhibits;
- At least two years of recruiting and overseeing paid staff or volunteers;
- An interest in exploratory science and sustainability; and
- A willingness to learn new concepts and share this knowledge.
- Ability to lift up to 15 lbs
- Relationship Building
- Public Relations
- Community Outreach
- Strategic Planning
- Event Planning / Management
- Brand Development & Messaging
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 5 hours per event, 2 times a month
- Usually 2 hours of additional coordination per week