Asante Africa Foundation is seeking a Grant writer. This position will involve the development of proposals for single year, small value asks (USD 15,000 to 50,000) targeted towards family foundations and other small foundations. Also, this position will be responsible for prospecting potential funding sources through the web, Foundation Directory Online, and existing prospects in the organization’s database. This is an entry level position ideal for bachelor students willing to build skills in public health, education, social science, humanities, business development and public policy. Attributes we are looking for: analytical, grasp/sensitized about not-for-profit sector, specific interest in international development, or someone experienced in other domains but willing to practice or venture into social sector. It is a long term opportunity where training will be provided.
Candidates will demonstrate experience managing multiple tasks while having a keen attention to detail and must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently and as part of a team. This volunteer must uphold confidentiality at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Research, organize, write, and edit successful grant applications that exhibit strong expository writing skills, persuasive cases for support and a high-level command of grammar and spelling.
- Prepare and submit letters of inquiry, proposals, and grant requests to potential funders.
- Work well in a team environment.
- Handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
- Understanding of our mission and organizational priorities as well as a passion for helping children achieve their dreams
- Excellent command of English language.
- Strong written communication skills; ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals.
- Strong editing skills and attention to detail
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- Work experience of 1-3 years is desired
ASANTE INTERN POSITION NOTES:
To be successful as a member of the Asante Africa Foundation team, you will also:
§ Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact an up-and-coming non-profit organization
§ Be an innovative and creative thinker - you are not afraid to try something new and inspire others to do so
§ Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
§ Have a strong work ethic, take initiative, and require minimal direction § Work well independently as well as part of a team
§ Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
§ Directly impact Asante Africa’s efforts to fund education-related projects that enhance knowledge, skills, and opportunities for hundreds of children in East Africa
§ Be part of a highly-motivated nonprofit organization run entirely by volunteers
§ Gain insight into the day-to-day operations of a nimble, results-orientated, high-growth nonprofit organization
§ Have the opportunity to see your ideas and contributions implemented
§ Build your resume and gain references for future employment opportunities
This is an unpaid, volunteer position.
The position is part-time with an expectation of 10 hours of work per week.