Building Construction Intern wanted
With emphasis in Residential Construction Development and Integrated Project Delivery Systems
Sustainable Lakewood is a community based non-profit organization dedicated to enhancing the lives and environment of Lakewood Heights. Our goal is to restore Lakewood Heights to a beautiful, holistic, proud community of healthy, productive, ecologically responsible citizens.
Located just south of downtown Atlanta, GA, Lakewood Heights is a historic in-town neighborhood filled with mixed incomes, races and cultures, and views of about civic responsibility and accountability. Over the years, Lakewood Heights has become a blighted neighborhood and the target of a great deal of mortgage fraud. Our neighborhood has been robbed of its charm and elegance, and we intend to restore Lakewood Heights to a valuable and ecologically responsible trend-setting community. We intend to instill Green technologies and practices in our home restorations as well as design a community which makes recycling and sustainability easy and accessible. We are poised to be a great community due to our accessibility to all major high-ways, proximity to down-town Atlanta, mass transportation, the airport, and our location on the Belt-Line.
We are currently seeking a Summer Building Construction Intern that is a team player with creative energy and a strong community focus; is approachable; and able to quickly establish rapport with people at all levels. Candidate must be able to analyze, negotiate and resolve problems. Must have good organizational skills and be able to work with various levels of management, contractors, vendors, community and governmental agencies and representatives, residents, and local businesses.
- Report to Project Leader and communicate with community organizers to provide assistance with strategic Community Development and creative Operational and Developmental Strategies.
- Assist with financial planning, reporting and analysis.
- Support other functional areas, including Market Research, Business Development, Accounting and Finance.
- Assist/Manage the design of restoration projects.
- Monitor contractors and subcontractors of construction and renovation projects while assuring compliance with project plans and specifications in a manner consistent with city codes and ordinances.
- Communicate with contractors and subcontractors to ensure work is being done in an efficient manner.
- Estimating, bidding, and permitting.
- RFI and submittals.
- Assist in the coordination and tracking of projects and materials.
- Assist with community relations.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with agencies, subcontractors, inspectors, etc.
- Perform administrative duties from time to time.
- Assist with purchasing and design of real estate and restoration materials and systems.
- AutoCAD ability is a plus.
- Accounting and Strategic Planning are helpful prerequisites
- Currently seeking a Master’s degree in Building Construction with an emphasis on Residential Construction or Integrated Project Delivery Systems preferred
- Knowledge of Green technologies, systems, and designs and their uses and implementations.
- Leadership skills.
- Strong oral and written communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Construction management, design, and related field experiences are highly desired.
- Candidates with continuing volunteer and community building experiences are extremely desirable.
- Experience with cost-analysis and planning
Benefits to You
- You will be exposed to a variety of technical and business functions with ever-increasing levels of complexity.
- You will receive a well-rounded, rewarding, and challenging real-world experience while participating in a diverse and interesting sustainable community development project.
- You will share in a positive work environment where talents are valued.
- You will be able to put your experience, knowledge, and professional spirit to the test with exciting projects that foster personal and professional growth.
- Enjoy a culture that respects unique and diverse needs.
- Engage in development programs designed to broaden knowledge and sharpen skills.
- Contribute to a community dedicated to sustainable development practices and positive life/community balance.
- Invest in meaningful endeavors, both assigned and voluntary, that are part of building a better world.
- 10-14 week Summer internship
- This is an unpaid position.
- 10-20 hour work-week with flexible hours
- 3 semester hours credit towards your Master’s Program degree requirements
To Apply: Please forward resume with cover-letter to email@example.com
- Project Management
- Home Repair
- Group Facilitation
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 10-20 hours per week
- To Apply: Please forward resume with cover-letter to firstname.lastname@example.org