Hospital Elder Life Program:
Recipient of the 2017 Hospital Award for Volunteer Excellence from the American Hospital Association
The Hospital Elder Life Program (HELP) aims to provide extra attention and care to senior citizens admitted to the hospital. Volunteers with HELP provide essential services to our senior population. Volunteers help to create a friendly hospital environment by providing sympathetic support, encouragement, and companionship to older patients and their families.
- Maintain physical and cognitive functioning throughout hospitalization
- Maximize independence at discharge
What can I gain as a volunteer?
- Experience working with older adults
- Interest and experience in the field of healthcare
- Confidence working with patients
- Satisfaction in knowing you helped improve the hospital stay of older adults by providing companionship, stimulation, orientation, and therapeutic activities
Wheter it's reading the newspaper together, engaging in conversation, providing company during a meal or taking walks, volunteers can make a significant impact in the mental, social and physical health of elderly patients.
Clara Maass Medical Center was able to launch HELP through a generous grant from The Healthcare Foundation of New Jersey.
Flexible hours: Monday through Friday from 9 am to 5 pm.
- Physical Therapy
- Patient Care
- Counseling / Mental Health
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training