Plant Coordinator/Green Skills Teacher: Natives/Gardening/Ecology (Bernal Heights - Begin NOW)
9 people are interested
Plant Coordinator/Green Skills Job Training Teacher for High School Youth to 21called A.L.L. ECO Stewards in Native Plantings/Plant Establishment Stewardship/Watershed/ Ecology/Gardening/Green Skills with some Multi-Arts/Literacy/Nutrition (part time) (Bernal Heights-Begin NOW)
This position is a unique opportunity to work with a leading-edge environmental and educational nonprofit, Life Frames, Inc., dedicated to integrating community resources and creating the Bernal Heights Living Library & Think Park Nature Walk, a transformative ecological, multicultural learning landscape linking diverse community resources, leading to hidden Islais Creek. This Nature Walk is prototype for linking eleven communities of Islais Creek Watershed, the largest in SF.
Called A Living Library & Think Park, this program works with local schools and other community resources, to build on-site Nature Walks, content-rich learning landscapes, and educational organic gardens, all interconnected with other elements, including the arts and digital technologies.
A Living Library is linked to the curricula of the schools and animates all subjects through real-world experience. Students, together with adults, are involved in research, planning, design, implementation, use, maintenance, management and communications of the transformed learning environments and integrated community programs.
(Life Frames, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to establishing a team of staff and volunteers who reflect the multicultural and linguistic diversity of the communities that we serve.)
Leader /Teacher for HS Youth to 21 years in California Natives / Planting & Plant Establishment Stewardship / Ecology & Watersheds / Organic Gardening / (part time). Students will receive a monetary stipend for their successful involvement and hands-on participation.
The successful candidate will be leading groups of low to moderate income High School Students to Age 21, in native tree and understory planting and care, ecology, learning about local watershed, plant communities, habitat restoration, organic gardening, and some multi-arts including digital media, literacy, nutrition projects. The Leader will also work with students to understand local ecology, history, watersheds, and existing dynamics of local community, with its natural, multicultural, and built resources. You will be leading hands-on activities as standards-based learning processes, communicating about ecological systems. You will also first recruit students from local schools and other community resources to join and participate in A.L.L. ECO Stewards program. You will also help with Administration of program.
• The candidate must have at least a B.A. and good knowledge of science, California native species, watersheds, organic gardening. Skilled in nutrition, arts, digital media, including photography a plus !
• Must be an excellent tree and shrub planter, landscaper, organic gardener, with knowledge of botany, cycles of life, insects, natural pest management, companion planting, California native species, plant communities, nutrition & health
• Must have extensive experience teaching, including especially High School Students - working creatively and artistically with all learners; knowledge of CA. State Standards and Common Core Standards a plus !
• Must be excellent in managing, motivating, and leading groups of students with good classroom management and motivational skills in an outdoor setting
• Knowledge about San Francisco ecology and watershed systems is essential !
• Must have excellent communication, writing, research, social media skills & experience with curriculum development and creating magnetic, visual outreach flyers
• Evolved aesthetic/design sensibility desirable; ability to draw well; carpentry skills a plus; digital media, video & other art skills a bonus!
• Bilingual Spanish, Cantonese, or Mandarin, a real plus !!!
• Must be creative, hard-working, positive, strong, cheerful, a self-starter with can-do attitude, team player, and able to also take direction from Director
• Ability & willingness to do Outreach to Recruit Students and Administrative work !
To find out more about A Living Library, please visit our blog: www.alivinglibrary.org/blog
Reply to the Founder & Director with cover letter & resume
This is a part-time job - available NOW
This is at a non-profit organization.
We'll work with your schedule.
93 MirabelSan Francisco, CA 94110
- Environmental Education
- Environmental Science
- Teaching / Instruction