K-12 Gardening/Ecology/Multi-Arts/Literacy/Nutrition Teacher - part time
21 people are interested
This position is a unique opportunity to work with a leading-edge, creative, environmental and educational nonprofit, Life Frames, Inc., dedicated to integrating community resources and creating transformative ecological and multicultural learning landscapes. Called A Living Library & Think Park, this program works with local schools and other community resources, to build on-site educational organic gardens and content-rich landscapes interlaced with other ecological elements, including the arts and digital technologies. A Living Library is linked to the curricula of the schools and animates all subjects through real-world experience. Students, together with adults, are involved in all aspects of the research, planning, design, implementation, use, maintenance, management and communications of the transformed learning environments and integrated community programs.
(Life Frames, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to establishing a team of staff and volunteers who reflect the multicultural and linguistic diversity of the communities that we serve.)
Dynamic, Inspired Teacher For Middle School & High School, plus K-5 Students:
Organic Gardening / California Natives / Ecology / Multi- Arts / Technology / Literacy / Nutrition Teacher (part time)
This dynamic, inspired, cheerful, with positive, can-do attitude - Outdoor Educator - will be leading groups of K-12 students and teachers, in hands-on learning and doing, in diverse activities: organic & native gardening and tree planting, multi-arts including digital media, literacy and nutrition projects, as well as leading students in researching local ecology, history, watersheds, and existing local community, including its natural, multicultural, and built resources. You will be doing extensive student outreach & recruitment, attracting students for hands-on, learning programs, and leading gardening, related landscape, and arts activities as standards-based learning processes. You will be communicating about sustainability, ecological systems and native landscapes as well as performing community outreach activities with children and adults in ways that are fun, educational, and relevant. You will also help with some administration of program. For qualified, right individual, can grow to leadership position.
• The exceptional candidate must have at least a B.A. and knowledge of science, organic gardening, California native species, and the arts; digital media a plus !
• Must have extensive experience teaching, including Elementary, Middle School and High School students - working creatively and artistically with all learners with knowledge of Common Core Standards
• Must be excellent and have ease in managing and leading groups and classes of students with good classroom management skills in an outdoor setting
• Must have a dynamic, outgoing, positive, can-do, personality and ability to attract and recruit middle school youth's participation in hands-on afterschool and summer program, as well as captivate and hold young students' attention and involvement in hands-on activities
• Must be an excellent organic gardener, tree planter, and landscaper with knowledge of botany, cycles of life, insects, natural pest management, companion planting, California Native species, plant communities, nutrition & health
• Knowledge about San Francisco ecology and watershed systems very important !
• Must have excellent communication, writing, research skills & experience with curriculum development; knowledge of Common Core standards a plus
• Must have an evolved aesthetic/design sensibility; ability to draw well is fantastic and be able to make attractive digital flyers a real win; carpentry skills are desired; digital & social media, video & other art skills a real plus!
• Bilingual or Multilingual Spanish, Tagalog, Cantonese, Mandarin, or other, a real plus !!!
• Must be creative, hard-working, strong, a self-starter, resourceful, flexible, can-do team player, and be able to also take direction from Director
• Ability & willingness to do some administrative work, social media, blogging, and outreach !
• Able to be liason with teacher's, school principals, and parents
• For qualified, right individual, can grow to leadership position
To find out more about A Living Library:
please visit our blog: www.alivinglibrary.org/blog
Reply to the Founder & Director with cover letter & resume
We'll work with your schedule.
93 MirabelSan Francisco, CA 94110
- Environmental Education
- Teaching / Instruction