CITY OF SARATOGA SPRINGS
JOB TITLE : Literacy Center Tutor Coordinator
DEPARTMENT : Library
STATUS : part-time, 2.5-5 hours per a week. Center hours are 4:15 to 5:30 Monday-Thursday.
JOB DESCRIPTION APPROVAL DATE : February 2, 2015 SALARY RANGE: Volunteer
SUPERVISOR: Literacy Center Coordinator, if available
The Literacy Center Tutor Coordinator, under the direction of the Literacy Center Coordinator performs entry-level, professional work for the City of Saratoga Springs Library. This position includes interaction with the general public and answering parent or guardian questions about student’s progress.SUPERVISION RECEIVED
Literacy Center CoordinatorSUPERVISION EXERCISED
Literacy Center TutorsSPECIFIC DUTIES
- Provides tutoring services to children between Pre-K to 5 th grade, following already provided curriculum
- Directs set up and take down of tutoring space
- Organize materials as needed for session
- Recruit tutors
- Attends any necessary tutor training, prior to the beginning of each session of the Literacy Center
- Ensures the safety and participation of assigned student and tutors
- Communicates appropriately with parents
- Performs other duties as assigned
Note: This description lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Incumbent may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.
- Minimum age requirement 18 years
- Minimum 1 session commitment
- Ability to communicate positively with young children and their parents/guardians
- Ability to organize and follow through with planned activities
- Proficiency with PCs and standard computer software/applications is a plus, but is not required
- General knowledge of office equipment, including photo copier, telephone, facsimile, calculator, shredder, etc.
- Ability to handle confidential information in a sensitive manner
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Give supervisor 24 hour notice if unable to meet volunteer commitment
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Successful candidates for the Literacy Center Tutor Coordinator position have a High School diploma or GED equivalent. Preference will be given to applicants experience working with young adults and children in a similar capacity.
Typically sit at a desk or table. Regularly walk, stand or stoop. Occasionally lift, carry, push, pull or move boxes weighing up to 30 pounds. Occasionally drive a motor vehicle. Work for sustained periods of time maintaining attention to detail.
Interested candidates should complete a Library Volunteer Application and submit it to:
City of Saratoga Springs
Attention: Melissa Grygla
1307 N Commerce, Dr, Suite 200
Saratoga Springs, UT 84045
Applications are available at: http://www.saratogaspringscity.com/library
Applications can be emailed to MGrygla@saratogaspringscity.com.
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum one session