CITY OF SARATOGA SPRINGS
JOB TITLE : Library Circulation Volunteer
DEPARTMENT : Library
STATUS : part-time, 2 hours weekly
JOB DESCRIPTION APPROVAL DATE : February 2, 2015 SALARY RANGE: Volunteer
SUPERVISOR: Library Clerks, if available
The Library Circulation Volunteer, under the direction of the Library Director and Circulation Clerks, assists the Library by checking materials in and out (contingent upon successful training) assessing items for damage and answering patron questions.SUPERVISION RECEIVED
Library ClerksSUPERVISION EXERCISED
- Attend several sessions of training provided by the Library at no charge to the volunteer regarding the use of Symphony ILS, the library’s software system. For most volunteers, this training is broken into four 2-hours training sessions.
- Performs general duties related to the circulation desk
- Greets patrons and assists with requests
- Initiates exchange of information required in the lending of library materials
- Checks in and checks out library materials
- Assists patrons with library computer use
- Assists patrons in locating books and materials
- Segregates books and other materials needing repairs.
Note: This description lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Incumbent may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.
- Minimum age requirement 16 years
- Minimum 1 year commitment
- Experience using Symphony ILS preferred but not required
- General knowledge of office equipment, including photo copier, telephone, facsimile, calculator, shredder, etc. preferred but not required
- Ability to handle confidential information in a sensitive manner
- Basic oral and written communication skills
- Basic customer service skills
- Give supervisor 24 hour notice if unable to meet volunteer commitment
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Successful candidates for the Library Circulation Volunteer position have the ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions in English at an 8 th grade level. Preference will be given to applicants with at least 6 months of experience in general library services and knowledge of Symphony.
Typically sit at a desk or table. Regularly walk, stand or stoop. Occasionally lift, carry, push, pull or move boxes weighing up to 30 pounds. Work for sustained periods of time maintaining attention to detail.
Interested candidates should complete a Library Volunteer Application and submit to:
City of Saratoga Springs
Attention: Melissa Grygla
1307 N Commerce, Dr, Suite 200
Saratoga Springs, UT 84045
Volunteer Applications are available at: http://www.saratogaspringscity.com/library
Applications can be emailed to MGrygla@saratogaspringscity.com.
- Customer Service
- Office Reception
- Library Sciences
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- 1 Year
- Weekly 2 hour commitment.