More than just a few-mile trek, the Walk to Defeat ALS is an opportunity to bring hope to people living with ALS, to raise money for a cure, and to come together for something you care about. The Walk to Defeat ALS is The ALS Association’s biggest annual event, which raises funds that allow our local chapters to sustain care services and support research for much of the next year.
Volunteers - Walk Day
When volunteers arrive at the walk, they should report to volunteer check-in / registration table to check in with the walk coordinator and/or volunteer chair. From there, they will be given t-shirts and instructions on their tasks.
Volunteer registration (6:00-12:30-ish)
Need 1 person to sit at a table and make sure that volunteers sign up, get their forms and get their t-shirts
Set-up: (6:30-9:00) 15-20 able-bodied volunteers
*See set-up page for map, tables, etc.
- help unload cars - tables, chairs, tshirts, etc.
- Each station will have a box that needs to be unpacked
- set up signs and banners - under the direction of the event coordinator
- set up stations and corresponding sign to indicate its function
- each station will need to be set up and ready with volunteers for 9:00AM
- Assist other areas with set up
Registration: (7:30-11:00) 8-12 volunteers
*See registration notes
- Ensure that registration table has walker registration forms, team envelopes, donation envelopes, pens, staplers, calculator, money bags.
- Make sure the registration sign is visible.
- Need to be ready for 8:30!
Advocacy: (8:30-12:00) 7 volunteers
*See advocacy volunteer notes
2 volunteers to sit at table to distribute info about advocacy and research and sell ALSA merchandise;
3-5 volunteers walking around with clipboards to get letters signed for Congressional letters (8:30-12:30).
T-shirts: (8:00-12:00) 4-8 volunteers
- Unpack t-shirt boxes. Organize t-shirts by sizes for easy distribution.
- Some t-shirts may already be marked for certain teams for pick-up.
- Collect t-shirt tickets from walkers and give them the tshirt size they need.
- Give out "Walking in memory/honor ... " stickers.
- Collect team t-shirts for contest and serve as judges to determine winner.
- T-shirts are given on a first-come, first-served basis. If we run out of t-shirts, tell walkers that we will order more. Recommend they call our office next week.
*** We have a t-shirt minimum, if anyone questions you, send them back to registration. They should have raised $75 for a t-shirt.
Merchandise sales (8:30-12) 2 volunteers
- Selling car magnets, wristbands, hats.
- Need a trustworthy person here who can tally sales, collect money, make change.
- Unpack and sort merchandise
- Get a tally of all merchandise prior to the walk
- For credit cards, keep a list of names and how much they are charged
Volunteers to greet and direct supporters (8:30-10:30) 2-4 volunteers
- Assist helping families at walk day. Point them in the right direction of registration, t-shirts, food, walk route
Walk Route Volunteers (9:45-11:30) 2-3 volunteers for water stations; 2 at starting point, 2 at ending point, volunteers along the route to cheer walkers
- Water stations: Make sure water station is set up. Have water and powerade ready for walkers, collect trash. When the last walker is through, please pick up the water station and bring table, water coolers, trash, etc. to staging area.
Fun Jump Monitors (9:00-12:00) 2 or 3 volunteers to make sure the kids don’t kill themselves in the fun jumps. Make sure not too many kids are in there at a time.
Food/Water: (8:00-12:30) 10 volunteers
- We have breakfast foods such as coffee, bananas, donuts.
- Make coffee, slice fruit, etc. Keep an eye on the coffee!
- Work with cooks to prepare and serve food for after the walk. Need to be ready to serve by 10:30.
Take Down & Clean Up (11:30-1:30) 10-20 able-bodied volunteers
- Pack up each station.
- Clean up food and water station and pack up all food .
- Take down tents, tables and chairs.
- Make sure all trash is picked up.
- Help with loading vehicles.
- People Skills
- Event Planning / Management
- Community Outreach
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Shifts of work from 6:00AM - 1:00PM