Seeking mid-career and/or senior professionals who are willing to act as a bridge to the mainstream American community
Program Expectations: To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- You will do your best to meet at least once a week for two hours for 6 months - 1 year
- You will be able to choose when to meet with your mentee. Whatever works best for you both. It is best to stick with the same time and day each week to avoid confusion.
- You will respect the traditions, culture and religious beliefs of the woman/man you will work with. You will work towards her/his empowerment and integration, not her/his assimilation to American culture
As a mentor you will:
- Support your mentee’s goals
- Focus on the present
- Do not promise more than you can give
- Change takes time & patience
- Be flexible and creative
- Create a trusting atmosphere
- Always remember - you cannot solve all his/her problems
- To help women/men overcome social isolation
- To promote necessary U.S. survival skills
- Language acquisition & cultural understanding
- To support and empower women/men in the path to self-sufficiency
Your mentee could be a young adults without parents or permanent guardians who have spent an unusually long period under refugee camp conditions; single mothers; elderly refugees without family support systems; refugees experiencing distress, including trauma; lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, & intersex (LGBTI) refugees; refugees who are HIV-positive; and other refugee populations with identified medical, mental health issues.
- Problem Solving
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 30
- Orientation or Training
- 2-4 hours per week for 6 months-1 year
- Refugee Focus Spring Intern 2017
- School Assistant for Refugee ELL...
- PART-TIME SEWING INSTRUCTOR
- Professional Mentors Needed
- Computer Tutor
- Refugee Focus Mentoring Program...
- Refugee Focus Women’s...
- English Language Training...
- English Language Tutor for...
- Refugee Child Care Volunteer
- Women's Nutrition Volunteer...