Red Sweater Project collaborates with developing communities in the creation of affordable, accessible and advanced educational opportunities for children in rural Tanzania. The non-profit organization operates The Mungere School near the town of Mto wa Mbu in the northern Arusha Region.
We are accepting applications for an English Teacher to instruct beginning, intermediate and advanced English and ESL/ELL courses to Form I - V students at The Mungere School, engaging them to speak, read and write English.
Mungere students live in a remote community, where English is rarely spoken and primary school is taught in the local language of Swahili. Yet, Tanzanian secondary school curriculum is in English medium and the language barrier can be a significant obstacle to learning. Teachers engage students to actively participate in English classes and extra-curricular activities designed to broaden skills.
Term I: January 6 - June 16, 2017 (5 months)*
Term II: July 10 - December 8, 2017 (5 months)*
*ability to serve both Term I and Term II for 10 months of service
- Engage students through interactive pedagogy through creative curriculum development, innovative lesson planning and classroom activities that are stimulating, active, safe respectful and projectbased
- Assess and monitor student learning outcomes using a range of assessment tools: performance, norm referenced, criterion referenced, portfolio, survey, etc.
- Coordinate extra-curricular activities and athletics
- Assist with school administrative development and ongoing instructor development as requested
- Minimum bachelor’s university degree
- ESL/ELL certification (TEFL, CELTA, or equivalent) preferred
- 2 years experience in the classroom minimum
- Commitment to interactive and engaging education
- Professionalism and passion
- Experience traveling, living and/or teaching abroad preferred
- Interest in Tanzania's indigenous cultures and traditions
- Ability to live in a developing community
- Flexibility to work individually and as part of a diverse team
How To Apply
Email current resumé/CV and cover letter detailing relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
View all our current position openings at www.redsweaterproject.org/volunteer
How WE Pitch In:
- We pick you up at Kilimanjaro Airport and transport you to your new home
- We arrange and furnish housing (communal)
- We provide orientation, familiarizing you with life in Tanzania and office operations
- We do NOT charge volunteer program fees
- We provide a computer (but you are welcome and encouraged to bring your own)
- We provide assistance with travel planning and arrangements
- We welcome your input and value your suggestions
How YOU Pitch In:
- You use your passion and experience to the benefit of students
- You cover your living expenses (US$200-300/month average)
- You pay for airfare, visas (between US$300-800), and immunizations
- You pay for your health insurance and medical expenses (if any)
- You agree to follow our volunteer conduct and safety policy
Work, with a side of Adventure
As you experience life in a remote Maasai community and explore Tanzania’s scenery and wildlife, it is difficult not to fall in love with the country and its people.
Mungere Village is nestled in Africa’s Great Rift Valley, a short distance from Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater, the Serengeti Plains and other unique destinations.
Travel further from the village to summit Mt. Kilimanjaro or relax on the beaches of Zanzibar Island.
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Reading / Writing
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training