Open Arms of Minnesota (OAM) is a nonprofit that prepares and delivers healthy, nutritious food to people living with cancer, HIV/AIDS, MS, and ALS. In our state-of-the-art kitchen, OAM staff members and more than 2,200 volunteers create meals specifically designed for our clients’ nutritional needs. We use fresh and, whenever possible, organic ingredients, including produce from our own garden. Volunteers deliver the meals throughout the Twin Cities metro area to approximately 850 clients, caregivers and dependents, providing nourishment and hope for families dealing with life-threatening illnesses. There are no fees for any of Open Arms’ services.
Open Arms is a volunteer-driven organization and is culturally unique in our high commitment to an excellent volunteer experience.
The Open Farms intern will work side by side with the Farm coordinator to complete many tasks over the course of the growing season. Internship will focus on vegetable production, direct seeding, bed preparation, composting, weeding/cultivation, transplanting, harvesting, and post-harvest handling with a focus on food safety and risk minimization. Whenever possible, time will also be allotted to facilitate projects related to the intern’s specific area of interest. Possible side projects as assigned may include mushroom log cultivation, development of an on-farm food safety plan and compost program, high tunnel exploration, and Phillips neighborhood garden site exploration.
- * Passion for the mission of Open Arms
- * Strong communication skills and outstanding ability to maintain and foster relationships to
ensure success working with a diverse base of volunteers
- * Ability to be part of a team and to maintain effective communication with other interns and
- * Ability to work some evening shifts and Saturdays from 8am-12pm
- * Interest in organic farming, gardening, food justice and local food systems
- * Previous farm experience preferred
- * Must have a positive attitude, an ability to receive constructive criticism, and a strong work
- * Comfortable working alone at times and be able to follow both written and verbal directions
- * Able to identify basic vegetable plants and differentiate from basic weeds
- * Must be reliable, responsible and hard working
- * Must be willing and available to work with large groups
- * Help ensure Open Arms provides an outstanding experience for all volunteers by regularly
seeking out meaningful and positive interactions with them and maintaining a positive,
friendly, and helpful attitude at all times.
- * Experience using various garden tools including but not limited to garden shovels, soil
rakes, hoes, broadforks, pitchforks, trowels, etc.
- * Early morning starter in good physical condition
- * Ability to get dirty, sweaty, and wet; interns will be working in all types of weather
- * Ability to crouch, lean, stoop, and carry
- * Ability to navigate steps on uneven ground
- * Physical ability to work daily with hands, wrists, back and to lift approximately 50 lbs
To apply, please send resume and cover letter detailing pertinent experience to: Kelly Wilson, Farm Coordinator, email@example.com.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Orientation or Training
- 10-20 hours per week
- Intern at Open Arms of MN!
- Bring nourishment to those in...
- Get together & deliver support!
- Customer Experience Internship
- Be the Smiling Face at Open Arms...
- Deliver Meals to Those in Need!
- Client Services Internship
- Weekend Volunteers Needed for...
- Evening Food Prep and Packaging...
- Client Bag Decorating
- Tuesday 1-3pm Receptionist
- Evening Receptionist
- Represent Open Arms as our...
- Group Kitchen Opportunity
- Prepare Meals for Those in Need!
- Become a Volunteer and Prep...
- Deliver Meals to Those in need...
- Volunteer in the Kitchen on...
- Bring Nourishment to Those in...
- Team Meal Delivery Opportunity