What is MDA Summer Camp?
Each year young people ages 6-17 with Muscular Dystrophy and related neuromuscular diseases are given the opportunity to attend a week of MDA Summer Camp at one of some 70 sessions throughout the United States. MDA Summer Camp is an opportunity for children to experience activities that they normally might not have the opportunity to experience. Activities include: Fishing, Swimming, Arts & Crafts, Drama, Bon Fires, Wheel Chair Sports, and so much more!
Most importantly it gives young people with MD an opportunity to bond with others who share similar struggles so they feel they are NOT alone.
Why Become an MDA Counselor?
This opportunity provides great hands on training for anyone interested in health care, medical field, PT/OT, recreation, working with special needs populations, etc.
- If there is something specific you would like to get out of the experience, (running an activity)just let the camp director know and they will do their best to make that happen!
- The week of volunteering would provide you with 144 hours of community service, which is a great resume builder!
- The most important part of being a counselor is making a difference in a child's life! Through the bonds you make with these campers you will give them an opportunity to express themselves and participate in ways they never knew they could!
What do Counselors do?
? Every counselor is matched with 1 camper of the same gender. You will work primarily with your matched camper to make sure all his/hers needs are met and they are safe while having a blast!
? Help them come out of their shell by creating a bond, many campers are too shy to participate at first but with you as a buddy they will take that first step into the lake!
? Assist in daily living activities, each child has specific needs, some have more than others. Living tasks can include dressing, feeding, toileting, bathing, and bed shifting at night. Each child's needs are assessed and paired with a counselor who is comfortable with those specific tasks.
? Make sure they are where they need to be - when they need to be there!
? What is expected
? Complete camp orientation
? Stay at the camp for 5 nights
? MDA Camp is electronics free, you cannot use cell phones or computers during camp week
? Dedicate your complete attention towards the safety of the campers
? Be a great role model for the campers (language, attire)
? How do I apply?
? Go on line and email : Csmith@mdausa.org and let her know you are interested
? Complete a Physical
? Come into MDA for an interview
? Pass a Background Check
? Call Carol Smith at MDA 505-828-1331 or email email@example.com
- Child Care
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- From June 24th to June 29th
- Interview, Background Check