The Ship Opereations cew of the Battleship IOWA is a fun and hearty lot. Yes, the work can be demanding, but it's satisfying too. The Ops crew is responsible for all hands-on restoration and maintenance of the ship. From less skilled, but enthusiastic laborers, to highly skilled tradespeople, and everything in between, we need help 7 days a week. The most important attribute we look for is a can-do, positive attitude and willingness to do whatever is needed as part of the team. Candidates must be able to work for long periods on their feet, lift potentially heavy loads, follow directions, and adhere to all safety protocols as established by the Ops Manager.Here's a partial list of some of the skills we're seeking:
- Carpentry skills - experience with wood decking, caulking
- General mechanical skills for day to day operational tasks
- Metal fabricators capable of designing various metal parts, brackets, welding experience a plus
- General metal prep including needle gun and grinder experience
- Plumbing experience including brazing copper-nickle
- Electricians with ship experienceElectricians with ship experience
- Strong personnel capable of heavy lifting, climbing and mooring line pulling
As a PBC volunteer, you are joining the crew of the Battleship IOWA, one of the fastest growing new museums in Los Angeles. We are a community that is sustained by the drive to preserve and interpret this iconic and unique piece of history for generations to come. You will work with a dedicated and highly motivated group of volunteers from multiple generations including veterans who served aboard the Battleship IOWA. We enjoy a host of social activities including potlucks, field trips, special lectures and behind the scenes tours of areas of the ship that are not currently (and may never be) open to the general public. Volunteers receive a discount in our ship’s store and in some area restaurants and businesses. Our volunteers are also recognized with a variety of awards and ceremonies that celebrate milestones of service and outstanding accomplishments. Come be a part of history today!
Processing and Training:
Prospective volunteers must complete the online application at the link listed below. Prospects may apply and interview for multiple opportunities, but acceptance is determined by each department head.
New volunteers are paired with a Sponsor on their first day and are expected to attend a one day orientation class offered each month. Departmental training is provided through one-on-one mentorship.
To start the process, please complete our online application at: www.pacificbattleship.com/volunteer and click on Sign Up Today!
For more information on the museum check out our website at http://www.pacificbattleship.com or download our Battleship Iowa App for iPhone and Android from the Play Store or the App Store.
- Facilities Management
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 4 Hours / week or equivalent
- Join our Restoration and...
- Full Stack Web/Python Developer...
- Join our crew! Be a Tour Guide...
- Join our Accounting Crew on the...
- Receptionist / Membership Sales...
- Join our Crew! Security staff...
- Front End Web Developer -...
- Carpenters Needed on the...
- Museum Archives and Collections...
- Join our Crew! Education Guides...