Job Description: Kitchen Intern
The kitchen volunteers will assist the SPSC Meal Manager with all aspects of the SPSC meal program. Duties can include:
- Preparing and serving meals
- Kitchen clean-up, including dishes
Goals for this Position:
The kitchen volunteers will help the meal manager prepare, cook and serve meals. The additional help will allow the meal manager to use more fresh ingredients that require a higher amount of preparation time. This will also allow SPSC to use the fresh produce that is donated to the program from the Marra Farm program.
- Food handlers license (we can help you get one if necessary and SPSC will pay the fee).
- Experience preparing and cooking food.
- Reliability to work on scheduled days
- Ability to work cooperatively with seniors, program staff, and representatives of other programs.
- Willingness to work in a low income community with an ethnically diverse population of senior citizens.
- Ability to lift cases of food, 30-50 pounds maximum.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
Hours and Duration of Position:
This is an on-going opportunity. We prepare meals 3 days a week: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 3:30 - 7 pm. Volunteers can have flexible schedules.
Benefits and Impacts:
- Sense of satisfaction by providing seniors with delicious, nutritious meals.
- Gain experience in a commercial kitchen that provides delicious meals on a tight budget.
- Remain productive and meet new people at our community senior dinners.
- Socialize with seniors, SPSC staff and other volunteers while making the meals.
To Apply: Contact the South Park Senior Center Program Coordinator at
- Cooking / Catering
- Food Service
- Elder care
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- flexible, M,W,F 3:30-7