Program: Imagine what life would be like if you could no longer do the things you used to do well.
Getting the mail and
taking the garbage out have become challenging, grocery shopping a burden, and the leisure
activities you enjoyed with the family you can no longer enjoy by yourself. You may have adult
children who have moved away to find work and have started their own families; you are left with
your empty nest. Wouldn’t it be nice to have someone to come in a few hours each month to keep you
company and help you maintain your independence?
You could be this person helping an aging older adult. Home Not Alone matches volunteers with older
adults to help them age in place and live a vibrant and engaged life.
Goal of Position:
To provide assistance and help an isolated older adult maintain dignity through companionship,
transportation, light housekeeping, paperwork organization, simple meal preparation, grocery
shopping, laundry help, and errands.
* $50 monthly stipend (beginning after volunteer is trained and successfully matched)
* Mileage reimbursement (for trips with/for older adult match)
* General liability insurance
* Secondary auto insurance
* Monthly professional development/in-service trainings
* Gain work experience - learn, share, and grow
* Provision of references upon completion of term
* A chance to give back to the community
* The opportunity to find a meaningful friendship
a) Provide support through friendship and in-home visits (generally two hours)
b) Provide assistance for older adult match(es), such as: companionship, transportation, light
housekeeping, simple meal preparation, grocery shopping, errands, paperwork organization, and
c) Record hours of visits and submit to Volunteer Coordinator every month
d) Write visit notes (a record of activities) and submit in a timely manner
e) Relay any significant changes with older adult match(es) to JFS through the Volunteer
f) Record and report mileage for all trips with/for older adult match(es) on a monthly basis
g) Attend scheduled meetings and trainings
h) Be punctual and dependable with appointments
i) Read the Volunteer Handbook and have a thorough understanding of Jewish Family Service, the
services it offers, volunteer procedures, and emergency protocols
j) Inform the Volunteer Coordinator of any changes in your address or contact number(s)
k) Other tasks as assigned
a) Volunteers must be at least 25 years old
b) Experience in working with older adults a plus
c) Able to provide own transportation
d) Possess a CA driver’s license, a clean driving record, and proof of insurance
e) Enjoy working one-on-one
f) Patience, sensitivity to another person’s needs, and compassion is a must
g) An ideal experience for retired RNs, MSWs/LCSWs, and individuals from the caregiving profession
a) Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
b) Complete volunteer interview and orientation with JFS Volunteer Engagement
c) Agree to background check, reference check, and privacy & security policy
d) Attend pre-service training for Home Not Alone Volunteers (6 hours)
Approximately 10-50 hours of visits each month, for one year
Older adult’s home (throughout San Diego County)
Jewish Family Service * Turk Family Center * 8804 Balboa Avenue * San Diego, CA * 92123
Immediate Supervisor: Home Not Alone Volunteers will be supervised and supported by the Volunteer Coordinator and a Masters-level social worker (Program Coordinator).
- Elder care
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 10-15 hours/mo for 3 month min.
- Musical Entertainers Needed!
- Event Planning Internship
- Development Administrative...
- Experience Career and Employment...
- Friendly Match: Mentor a Refugee...
- St. Paul's Cathedral: Help...
- Prepare Warm Meals to Feed Your...
- Give a Ride and a Smile: Older...
- Community Presenter Wanted!...
- Mandarin Translator
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed!
- Nutrition Server: Help Serve...
- Camp Pendleton & Murphy Canyon:...
- Blog & Social Media Internship
- Corner Market Volunteer: Restore...
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Home Not Alone: Help an Older...
- Nonprofit Reception Support...
- Activity Instructor/Facilitator
- Facilities Assitant